Yugoslavian computer magazine cover girls of the 1980s-90s

And double checking I got confused on the labels thinking it was on top of the pic.
no the one posted above by @failqual with the lacy lingerie and the pasted in exhausted man.

1 Like

That is surreal.

Ah! It’s super surreal, for sure.

But I meant this one:

Straight up, 1980s 4AD…

Now I’m going to have to listen to some Cocteau Twins…

10 Likes

Yeah that one falls in with the just posing and wow not even actually posing with the tech even. Like they are not even trying with that cover, crap it is deadline time do we have stock photo and we can paste a picture of a PC in the corner.

2 Likes

Shortly after this was taken, they played Astroblast.

2 Likes

Almost as sexy:

4 Likes

Oh yes! The September 1987 cover! I believe that’s a Norton? Maybe a Triumph, but that gearbox cover screams Norton to me…

3 Likes

Not only that, but they pasted a girl’s face into the monitor, just so that there would be a girl and a computer in the same photo.

The computer, by the way, is an Acorn Archimedes, “the first RISC-based home computer”. Its processor architecture has had a very successful afterlife.,

2 Likes

I’d guess because one of the featured articles was about “E-mail under sanctions”.

2 Likes

That is not a pocket computer, that is a Sinclair ZX Spectrum.

3 Likes

Speaking of, this is a fun book:

3 Likes

1992, when it was often much quicker to sketch something for consideration than it was to mock it up on the computer. Much quicker…those were the days when people would still be going for a tea break while the machine rendered what would now be considered a small image.

2 Likes

Fun but not factual. British Leyland actually had an internal competition to design the worst cars in history. The winner was the Austin Allegro with the square steering wheel. You have to pass by the Trabant to get to the Yugo.

3 Likes

Perhaps the word “yuge” is in for a similar fate.

1 Like

What’s that about judging books by their covers? :wink: Actually, if you read the book, he says that very thing and I believe he mentions the Trabant and maybe even the Allegro. He also notes that the Yugo in Yugoslavia was a popular, well made car. But the Yugo has a REPUTATION in the US as the worst car in history. He looks at the entire story, how it got imported (the only car imported from a communist country) and what went wrong.

7 Likes

Is that a Commodore 64 keyboard? Because if it is that’s 64k of sexy!

1 Like

Perhaps one of the last running Yugos in the US:

1 Like

Have you seen Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist?

Also has a functioning Yugo!

5 Likes

I can imagine that there might well be a copy of racunari 33 inside the glove box or stuffed under the spare. lol

3 Likes

probably something to do with DOS and/or Windows

1 Like