Zero gravity coffee cup was not supposed to look like a vulva

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/25/zero-gravity-coffee-cup-was-not-supposed-to-look-like-a-vulva.html

5 Likes

ey! until (and if) astronaut Donald Pettit is specifically asked if vulva shaping was an aspect of his design process then i don’t believe we may say with utter certainty that it “was not supposed to look like a vulva” (…i said, “good-day Sir!” [winkish emoji])

7 Likes

Oh, you’re supposed to drink it from that end?

was not supposed to look like a vulva

Ok, but uh, it kinda does. And they did intend for it to have that shape for - checks notes - capillary channel flow.

2 Likes

3 Likes

The alliterative name for this coffee cup is rather obvious.

What about an almost fully enclosed volume for the “cup” but with a straw/check valve. Works by suckillary action. (Just kidding; I see problems with it already.)

1 Like

Huh. An astronaut invented the fleshlight. Science works!

It’s nice that there is new space technology that doesn’t look like a giant penis.

17 Likes

“I’ll be over here, eating my coffee.”

“Don’t you mean, ‘drinking your coffee’?”

“I meant what I said.”

9 Likes

Coffee-lingus?

6 Likes

Every human-made object is either a vulva or a penis. We can’t help ourselves.

3 Likes

See if guys can label all the parts.

5 Likes

reports were some astronauts could not figure out how to drink from it, even with instructions and another crewmember pointing to the spout and saying “RIGHT THERE!”

2 Likes

But in freefall, what is “upside down”?

That means you’re 69-ing the cup.

3 Likes

Wow. $95 for the ceramic, $650 for the flight approved plastic one! And that one is not dishwasher safe.

1 Like

This is all I know about zero gravity coffee cups:

100a Stern

100/107/108 Railing

100b Propeller Shaft Hull Exit

101 Water Line

104 Bow

105a Keel (Stern)

105c Keel (Bow)

106 Scuttle Hatch

109a Bow Starboard Pulpit

109b Bow Port Pulpit

Since it appears that vulvas are optimally designed for drinking out of in zero-g, it makes NASAs initial reluctance to have women astronauts even more sub optimal.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.