Zoolander 2 trailer

Please don’t suck, please don’t suck, please don’t suck…

8 Likes

This is the first, and probably only, instance in which the appearance of Justin Bieber has given me hope.

9 Likes

I think you overestimate how seriously Hollywood takes Transgender people as anything other than a punchline. My trans friends I showed it to did not take that bit as…positively as you do.

1 Like

I see the transphobic “joke”-apologist-trolling-troll is here.

Aaaannnd… its me.

Well no one bats 1.00.

Okay, the glass of wine has probably gone to my head… But what? No snark, I just couldn’t parse that.

1 Like

I am not transgender, nor do I have any transgender friends.

But masculinity seems to be the butt of the joke. Benedict Cumberbatch is quite the heartthrob, and subverting his masculine sex appeal is how I read the joke.

Is it sexist? Is it transphobic? I’m not sure. You could make a case for the gag being rooted in patriarchal gender normativeness, and you’d have a point, but is it really that bad?

1 Like

The brother Bill is not-coincidentally a vampire in Netflix’s Hemlock Grove. There’s a lot of other Skarsgards kicking around (Stellan is a virile man, apparently), I am just not sure if any made it into anything mainstream.

Pfft. A running time of two minutes and thirty four seconds??

What is this, a movie for ANTS!?

11 Likes

I am… Pretty much with you. I didn’t pick up any transgender slights at all. Did the joke pick on someone? Yes. And I can pick a thousand comedic bits that do as well, including those that include protected classes.

And as you aptly observe, the butt of the joke is on Derek and Hansel. Not Benedict.

2 Likes

Cool story, Hansel.

1 Like

I clicked on Netflix’s latest original series just for Stellan as a grumpy detective. Spent the next three hours going “What. What. w h a tttt? what is happening??”

Oooooh, I thought that was him! Saw only the promo-banner last night.

1 Like

So his wife Christine appears to not be in the 2. Disappointed; I think she was a big reason the first one worked so well. She was such a good straight man for him.

2 Likes

A admit I cringed at the Cumberbatch part, but I’m willing to give the character a chance. I still loved the first one and I’m praying this one doesn’t turn into a giant turd.

1 Like

Sure, in that joke, arguably (although the question about All’s genitals is making them the butt of the joke a bit, too).

But given hollywood’s history of ‘famous male actor made to look like a girl’ being used to make really really insulting jokes that trans people often get lobbed at them if/when the movie becomes popular…

1 Like

I get what you are saying. I am not trans, I don’t know what it feels like, and the only thing I have is empathy, not walked-a-mile-in-those-shoes understanding.

I guess I have faith that the actors involved wouldn’t do phobic bits. We will see.

2 Likes

Christine Taylor does indeed appear on the IMDB page.

1 Like

Given what Cummerbatch has said about autistic people, I doubt he’ll be any better when it comes to transgender people, sadly.

I will admit I’ve got a bit of a personal dislike of him after that (I’m autistic and really don’t appreciate a lot of what he said about people like me) but given his background as literal British nobility and the views he seems to have on people not like him…I don’t think All is going to be positive representation of a trans person.

Which really disappoints me because I want to like Zoolander 2 but I really hate that kind of ‘humor’ and if the movie’s going to make that kind of joke a recurring thing…

1 Like