Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/01/dear-leader.html

9 Likes

War-ren!
War-ren!
War-ren!
War-ren!

60 Likes

45 Likes

His excellency doesn’t approve? If only there was some way he could sway the election…

39 Likes

My friends and I refer to FB as Faceberg, and would use anything else if most of our FB friends would come along. Senator Warren is our only hope to regain control of the Interweb Tubes! Break up the telecom monopolies again, too!
Senator, you go right ahead and verbally abuse the rest of the goats at the next rodeo!

9 Likes

Poor, poor Zuck.
Shouldn’t have run all those Russian bots.

18 Likes

But I’m sure there are other good reasons to vote for her besides just that. Though sucking for Facebook is a pretty surefire lever-puller.

20 Likes

“[Insert every monopolist in American history here] explains that he really only wants what’s best for America”

FUCK ZUCK 2020!

25 Likes

DELETE FACEFU#KINGBOOK!

So say I…

24 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

Oh, and don’t forget to use the BB Fbook Share button!

15 Likes

Well sure, but

and encourage your friends, family, and coworkers to

18 Likes

so say we all

23 Likes

It sucks that it’s become so ingrained in everything. Elections, anti-monopoly blogs, your thoughts.

7 Likes

Breaking up Facebook, Twitter, Google… it won’t happen, even if it should.

If the threat looked imminent, they could simply shut down for a day. A week. However long it takes to effectively strike. Everyone who tried to use them would get a page saying “The US government is trying to destroy [Facebook,Google,Twitter]. If they succeed, this will be permanent.”

There would be civil unrest. Riots. But unlike past monopolies the government has broken up, web search and social media aren’t considered public utilities. They aren’t breaking the law by shutting down in protest.

2 Likes

Thanks, Zuck, for giving me yet another reason to vote for Warren!

12 Likes

It’s funny, I was just listening to a fivethirtyeight podcast where they were talking about Wall Street donors threatening the Democratic party not to nominate her, and how of course those donors used proxies to send that message because they didn’t want to generate free campaign advertising for her. I guess Zuckerberg is a little less sophisticated [snort].

(As for “breaking up” facebook, I will just choose to read that as “regulating”, rather than repeat what I am always posting on here about how causing a tumor to metastasize is not the same thing as curing it)

6 Likes

I am not sure what I find more infuriating, Suckerberg or his employees.

Suck, with his disingenuous martyr mantra or the fools who eat it up.

Facebook is a publicly traded company, therefore their mandate is to produce YOY incremental growth, ad infinitum. Anything they do that is socially valuable or responsible in merely incidental. If a fascist gets elected, ooops, but how’s the quarterly report look?

If their platform becomes a toxic stew of disinformation that leads to genocide, gee, maybe we should do something about that so we don’t lose more ad money.

Shut up, Suckerberg, the world would be a better place without the current iteration of Facebook and you know it. Anything you do to right Facebook’s wrongs is putting lipstick on a pig, and ultimately still motivated by your bottom line.

4 Likes

He also blew off an international meeting in Canada.

That might cost them.

7 Likes

If Facebook had my “best interests at heart” they wouldn’t be designing and promoting the use and abuse of privacy-invading crapware that requires constant vigilance to guard against and likely has assembled an obsessive dossier on me (and everyone else) despite such efforts. I did not ask for this nor did I consent to it, so take your thin anemic lip service and go plug a hole with it instead.

9 Likes

Lanier puts it like this: “The algorithm is trying to capture the perfect parameters for manipulating a brain, while the brain, in order to seek out deeper meaning, is changing in response to the algorithm’s experiments … Because the stimuli from the algorithm doesn’t mean anything, because they genuinely are random, the brain isn’t responding to anything real, but to a fiction. That process – of becoming hooked on an elusive mirage – is addiction.

10 Likes