A matrix of the best Captains in pop culture

3 Likes

What about Captain Merrill Stubing? Low on the “can kick your ass” scale, but extremely high on the “well-run ship” scale. For example, he never once lost a ship to a Tsunami, or steered too close to shore. Also, he never had to call in the CDC–and he had only one physician on board!

8 Likes
17 Likes

The “Double Axe Handle”

8 Likes

I acknowledge that Captain Kangaroo could probably take Johnny Depp in a fight, but I have no idea how capable he is with boats. I’ve spoken to a few captains and it’s my understanding you have to spend a great deal of time on boats to be worthy of the designation of captain.

He was actually Fred “Has no gaps in his career long enough to have been enlisted in the military and wrote all the music in his show” Rogers

3 Likes

Captain Barney Miller (It’s all about “perspective”)

Captain Carl, ‘Pee Wee’s Playhouse’ (Phil Hartman)

Captain Edmund Blackadder (Duh)

Captain Kidd (Actually hunted pirates)

Captains Ahab, Queeg, and Wolf Larsen aren’t so much badass as, well, a bit driven.

And although not a captain, I want to give Commander USA a shoutout.

10 Likes

Not to mention Captain Spaulding…

11 Likes

His rank is “General”, because in Star Wars you are given a rank if you are buddies with the royal princess, not if you have a history in the military or display any sort of actual leadership skill or anything as prosaic as that.

3 Likes

You Win Everything :smile:

2 Likes

I’d pay good money to see that.

Despite Kaylee valiantly keeping the Serenity flyin’, Captain Mal being perpetually broke didn’t get them too much in the way of repairs. Once you get away from Starfleet or the Imperial Navy, there are plenty of ships out there in the 'Verse that are held together with Bondo and good intentions.

2 Likes

Very very high on kick your ass, very low on well run ship: Cap’n Lou

7 Likes

Most of the time, he has no ship at all, but I wouldn’t want to get into a fistfight with him, let alone a fight of words.

1 Like

Holy cats, I’m so glad I’m not the only one. I still carry my Commander USA fan club card, and have promised to remain an all around good guy forever. Sure!

1 Like

How about Captain Ron? He has a boat AND a cereal, just like Crunch.

6 Likes

The finest captains that the British Empire produced:

And, for a time:

2 Likes

William Daniels’ greatest role:

1 Like

And in the bottom left hand corner:

Although at least he can tell you what you could have done to avoid your ship being fucked.

(This was a fun meme to use when teaching the third conditional)

3 Likes

I thought Zapp was a Commodore 64?

1 Like