ALS Association files trademark for Ice Bucket Challenge, but didn't create campaign

[Permalink]

1 Like

Because this is gonna work out well for themā€¦

1 Like

Theyā€™re claiming that they discussed it with those who did invent the challenge and are doing so because of for-profits jumping on the bandwagon.

Donā€™t know if thereā€™s actually any truth to that, though.

2 Likes

It would be really sad if this sparked a boycott.

So now we need to fight ALS in more ways than one? :frowning:

1 Like

Is there a Creative Commons equivalent for Trademark? IF ALS trademark it AND they then promptly turn around and say they donā€™t care who uses it as long as itā€™s not for profit then good on them.

Otherwise; fuck 'em.

1 Like

Perhaps they can get a cross-marketing deal with the Komensā€¦
ALS Ice Bucket Challenge For the Cure brought to you by KFC.

5 Likes

Itā€™s about time somebody put a stop to all this ice-bucketing. Do you realize how much work it is putting up with all this insufferable self-righteous tomfoolery on my various feedsā€½

Good work ALS; shut off the faucet, err, ice-buckets!

2 Likes

This is disappointing. It causes me to wonder how much of my donation will go to legal costs instead of actual research.

Then again, there is this:

3 Likes

Iā€™m not understanding; who should own the trademark for ibc?

Maybe a better question is why in the world does anyone need to trademark the IBC?

6 Likes

Makes me glad I havenā€™t done it then. Donā€™t see how dumping ice water over my head will help ALS research.

During the whole Race for the whatever, I asked a friend at work if the Komen Foundation would be happy if a cure was found or if they only cared how much money they can rake in? She didnā€™t have a answer for that.

Because it prevents other charities from using the term and thus diluting ā€œthe brandā€. (At least, that seems to be the Komen"for a cure" logic)

The act itself doesnā€™t do squat, beyond drawing attention to the participant. Itā€™s the verbal request from that participant to donate before or after the act, coupled with the nomination of others, compelling those nominees to do the same and essentially causing a gradual signal boost.

On one hand, itā€™s effective because people donā€™t want to be ā€œthat assholeā€ who doesnā€™t go through with it. Itā€™s essentially a guilt trip that forces the challengeā€™s spread. On the other, it risks falling flat on its arse when people canā€™t even get the verbal part right. Someone I know did it and asked people to donate, but completely failed to specify the charity.

1 Like

Yeah, it would be a real travesty if some other crippling disease non-profit got donations from people dumping water on themselves. :wink:

3 Likes

From the article:

There are more crowd-friendly ways to reduce the harm of fraudsters who want to cash in on the ALS campaignā€™s high profile.

Could someone elaborate on that, please?
My initial reaction was unfavourable towards the ALS Assn too, but what would be a better, legally-foolproof way of preventing parasites cashing-in, which wouldnā€™t prevent other ā€˜genuineā€™ IBCs?

1 Like

Alā€™s challenge? All I know is that Al must be raking it in.

Iā€™m starting Oldā€™s challenge suggesting you send me $100 and dump a bucket of lime Jello over your head on camera.

1 Like

That is one way to go about killing the golden goose. Itā€™s like getting a trademark on last seasonā€™s dress. It shows how little these corporate types know about internet culture. But what is the real shame is that they take the fun out of the enterprise. They couldnā€™t just leave it alone.

This dowsing oneā€™s self with very cold water reminds me of bathing in Ethiopia, on days when running water (also cold) wasnā€™t available.

Dipping into freezing water is a pretty standard charity event in Canada. Some people just do it for fun or to celebrate the new year too.