Ice Bucket Challenge via air cannon

[Permalink]

My son is on the hook to do one of these. The person who challenged him lives in an area currently affected by severe drought (and conceivably violated local law when he overturned his own bucket); my wife hails from Ethiopia where the municipal water may or may not run all day, or every day. I’m thinking to have my son upturn a bucket of air over himself.

At least the air cannon wasn’t loaded with ice cubes and water.

Is your area in a drought? We have so much water in my area that we have to come up with ways to get rid of it. Or he can do what Totalbiscuit did.

No, we’re not, but much of the world is. I figure there’s a point to be made but I wonder if it’s just my smug side.

Here’s how I responded (on FB) to John’s challenge:

So, Mark Frauenfelder and I got ice bucket challenged yesterday by the absurdly talented John Edgar Park. His challenge video was as funny and clever as I’d expect from John. He made an ice water cannon and blasted himself
with it.

I won’t be taking the challenge. For several reasons. I have struggled my entire life with my own degenerative disease
(severe arthritis), thankfully not as devastating a diagnosis as ALS, but still a significant life challenge. Among other things, this has left me with a fused sternum. My chest can’t expand (I breathe through my stomach/diaphragm). Even mildly cold water makes me lightheaded. A bucket of ice cold water would probably make me
pass out.

I could just do some clever variation on the theme, without dousing myself, but I feel as though the ALS Challenge has
played itself out. The viral nature of it (each person nominating three people) means that it could reverberate forever. That’s very clever and I’m glad they got all of that money. I really hope lots of it goes to actual research. But other types of research needs funding, too.

So, in response to John’s challenge, I’m giving a donation to the Bedford Stem Cell Research Foundation. Stem cell research holds incredible promise and has been held back by religious ideology and sheer ignorance (by my lights, anyway). Bedford claims that 94% of their donations go to research.

I challenge all of my Facebook friends to pick a type of medical research you believe in, find a worthy charity for it, and donate. If you do, please post that you’ve answered MY challenge and add my name to your post so I can see it.

At least three people responded to my challenge and donated to different charities, including John himself, who also made a donation to Bedford (bless his pointy little head).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.