App can scan your huge pile of random Lego bricks, identify each one, and suggest a building project

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/29/app-can-scan-your-huge-pile-of-random-lego-bricks-identify-each-one-and-suggest-a-building-project.html

3 Likes

Ye Gods!

Yeah, lets waste 40% of the screen real estate with a dumb, animated cartoon head adding no value whatsoever (we HAVE been watching TV with voiceovers for decades now, you fuckwits) and cram the actual meat of the video into the remaining 60%.

Rant over, this is a pretty fucking awesome application of AI.

I wonder if that list of small models it showed are all doable together or if they are potentially mutually exclusive (i.e. using parts that are not available enough times to do both/multiple models)?

2 Likes

Wouldn’t you just run the app again on the remainder after making one model?

1 Like

D’oh!

Of course. :wink:

(But… offline use… ?)

1 Like

Does it matter? Can you use Legos offline? (/s)

1 Like

What is this “Legos” of which you speak? :wink:

Now to build an app that assesses all the Lego in the image and values it all to produce an average price per part, or actual price per proposed model.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Ah - Megas Blokses. :wink:

4 Likes

rob actually used “lego pieces” i believe, which to my ear is way better than the singular plural. ( although i admit i say “some kleenex”, instead of “tissues” so who am i to judge. )

2 Likes

halloween lol GIF by CraveTV

2 Likes

Unrelated: Apparently “Gollum stepping on lego” is “unsafe content”

6 Likes

now THIS is an acceptable use of AI

3 Likes

i worry about anything that bricks my phone.

6 Likes

Yay! Let’s take away the last bastion of possible creativity kids could possess!

Quite right. Ban all the box art too.

3 Likes

They mean Legopodes, obviously.

13 Likes

From the Greek for Ow, WTF did I just step on!?!

4 Likes

Greek lēgō, to stay or terminate something, and pōdēs, feet. So “that which stops your feet” basically.

9 Likes

I keep telling you… [Gallic shrug]

1 Like

I tried out the app. Technically very interesting. In reality incredibly disappointing. All of the builds are very small, like a dozen pieces or so, and don’t account for color. And even then, it often shows builds where it knows you don’t have all the pieces.

It’s good if you want to stick three random pieces together and call it an X-Wing and/or a duck, but terrible for anything else.