Apple Watch is the iPhone Killer: Wired interviews design team

[Permalink]

I am skeptical about an article praising something that’s just been launched as if it was a sure thing. Interview the team and of course they will have all this positive vibe about the product. But take that away and we have something that is just a big question mark.
I might be a designer’s dream to work on a new interface and they may come up with really clever solutions to a problem that Apple created. I personally prefer a big screen.

8 Likes

Wait …
Don’t you have to have an iPhone [with you] in order to use iWatch at all?

8 Likes

I’m irritated by the headline (which is on Wired, of course, not you); it’s hardly an “iPhone killer” if it relies on one for most of its functions. And the article, although not bad, seems to believe that this is Apple’s first foray into wearable technology, ignoring the iPod nano, which even sort of counts as Apple’s first watch, thanks to the large number of aftermarket wristbands that you could clip it into.

4 Likes

Better human interaction.

4 Likes

I personally prefer not wearing a watch.

7 Likes

You can have my watch when you can unbuckle it from my cold dead wrists.

1 Like

My watch is a fashion accessory and most of them are interesting models with some history. My iPhone is like having Dr. Theopolis with me all the time. Or that meh computer from Quantum Leap.

3 Likes

I was interested in this as well. What I gather from the article, but was never stated directly, is that the technology developed for the watch may actually be better than the technology on the phone. But then some of the problems the watch “resolves” can be reversed back in to the iphone so I’m not sure where that leaves us?? Yeah, strange title.

And of course Apple has already completed stand alone watch designs, but they will wait for their market, and the product, to mature before taking those next steps.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’d probably have to turn the data plan on for my iPhone to make any use of the iWatch. As it is my phone is my watch. I do have a pocketwatch I wear, but only for formal occasions, and my home clocks are all correct but twice a day, because most of those are from the 18th and 19th centuries.

I would, however, wear anything - absolutely anything - to have an invisible holographic Dean Stockwell sarcasticly inserted at random into my day.

Probably why I like it here.

3 Likes

It’s an interesting story, just for the tales of removing things from the user interface to make it less bothersome. That’s something that Apple has done way better than any other company.

Fortunately, you’ll still have your phone in your pocket if you need that thing that the watch won’t let you do. Unfortunately, you won’t know that you were supposed to do it yesterday.

1 Like

Another cell phone “man’O vation”.

5 Likes

So… instead of rudely checking our iPhone, we will be able to rudely check our watches instead of paying attention to our companions/family/coworkers/the road…? I have a feeling those around us will see right through our checking our watches.

And anyhow, who wants to look at p0rn kitten videos on a watch?

3 Likes

The goal of the UI designers was to reduce the level of interruptions in both frequency and magnitude. Instead of rudely puling your phone out of your pocket, you can feel the watch telling you that you may or may not want to glance at it briefly.

They mentioned that holding your watch up to your face for 30 seconds is not their idea of fun, so they don’t make you do that. Poor kittens!

Whether it succeeds is another question entirely.

1 Like

I was thinking it’s more of a tech advancement issue. The tech isn’t quite there yet for a standalone device as powerful as smartphone (and battery) to fit into a watch of reasonable size. We’re getting there, but I don’t think we’re there yet.

Once Apple comes out with something standalone like that (and not a giant lump on my wrist), then I’ll be more interested. Then again, I hate wearing watches, so it better be pretty damn compelling if I’m going to wear one.

For maximum efficiency, a self-winding watch should always be worn on one’s wanking hand.

5 Likes

And of course Apple has already completed stand alone watch designs, but they will wait for their market, and the product, to mature before taking those next steps.

Yes, how about let’s all regroup when the market change happens and it’s gone through the first few useless bells and whistles generations?

At least iOS is fairly stable so the software underpinnings will be decent.

I find it quite convenient to get alerts on my Pebble. It means I can mute my phone when at work. But the pebble is not maintenance free. It can take some fiddling to get it hooked up to the phone at the start of the day. Maybe Apple will solve some of these integration problems.

1 Like

This is one of the features I enjoy with my Pebble Steel. Of course, Apple likes to ignore functionality that has already been introduced by others while promoting that same functionality in their products as “game changing”.

2 Likes

I want a pocket smart watch.