Artist steals top 1-inch piece of England's tallest mountain

[Permalink]

“Taking the mickey”??

Give the polite racists their mountain top back, Oscar.

2 Likes

I nominate this for troll of the year. Brilliant. On the one hand it’s such a small thing, and completely insignificant, and yet it’s totally understandable that people are upset about it.

18 Likes

Uh, why racists?

2 Likes

So what about the erosion of Scafell Pike from all the tourists going up it? Do they have to return their bits of the mountain too?

And what about the glacier from thousands of years ago which took a lot more than an inch of the top?

2 Likes

where are your people from, and I will gladly explain with an example.

They should place it on top of Ben Nevis.

5 Likes

I grew up in Cumbria, and polite racist is unfortunately accurate for quite a few people from there.

3 Likes

It doesn’t seem to be an anti-Irish saying (at least from a cursory google), if that’s what you’re getting at.

Of course, if you’re just generally accusing all British/English people of being polite racists, then carry on.

7 Likes

It doesn’t seem that way? Well that’s generous of you.

I stole the lowest pebble in Death Valley once but nobody seemed to mind.

16 Likes

I do believe the reaction is the point of the work.

4 Likes

Why do you say that? Go on.

[quote=“AcerPlatanoides, post:10, topic:54563”]http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Take+the+Mickey+out+of
[/quote]
That explanation really stretches credulity. “Take the mickey” is simple rhyming slang for “take the piss”.

7 Likes

Apparently it’s just Cockney rhyming slang for taking the piss (Mickey Bliss, whoever he was).

3 Likes

You provided the link - he just quoted you.

4 Likes

The greatest thing to me is that the dupes raising their concerns dont understand they are the real show in this whole thing, without them it is just a rock.

6 Likes

The saying itself? Or the act of piling on anyone who says it’s actually pretty racist, but can excuse themselves from sensitivity with a polite sounding excuse?

So glad we were able to get off-topic so quickly.

I think the artist has a point, when he talks about having collected as much of the trash on the mountain as he could on the way down. Who is causing the most harm to the beauty of nature?

8 Likes

Moreover it’s a rock that, for all they know, isn’t even what the artist claims it to be. He could have picked it up off the street while walking to the gallery.

7 Likes