Audio illusion: understanding gibberish

[Permalink]

1 Like

AAAAAAH no volume adjustments on the embed. My poor ears!

One of my favorites is simple… next time you want to say “coin toss” say “toin coss”. It will go unnoticed.

This is pretty cool, but I wish they would have given some details on the audio transformation so I could try it myself.

Sounds like they’re sweeping a relatively high-Q resonant filter across the sound. Anyone else have any speculations?

˙ssǝnƃ  ɐʇsnɾ s,ʇɐɥʇ ʇnq 'ƃuᴉƃƃoɹɟ ʎɔuǝnbǝɹɟ ǝʞᴉl spunos ʇᴉ 'osl∀

¡ƃuᴉzɐɯɐ uᴉʞǝɹɟ ʎʇʇǝɹԀ

We’re constantly filling in gaps in our understanding with good guesses as to what the meaning of something is.

I personally very much enjoy the phenonenon of not quite hearing what someone says, saying “What was that?” in confusion, and then saying “Oh, wait, my brain just caught up” as my mind pieces together what they said through context and memory. Makes me smile every time it happens.

4 Likes

I especially wanted to keep that bit of gibberish in my head. Now they’ve permanently ruined it for me. Great job guys. Hope you’re happy.

As someone with a mild-to-moderate hearing loss who rarely wears hearing aids, I have that experience often.

Reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muCPjK4nGY4

Don’t look at the captions and just listen and try to figure it out. Then play it again while reading the captions.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.