Awful Song Thread!

I try not to do that but OK. :wink:

I can understand pretty much what people see in just about all of these songs listed here, from the throwaway bubblegum, to the ā€œso far out there itā€™s creeping up behind youā€.

And, depending on mood, any song could be both loved and reviled. Hotel California, Iā€™m looking at you.

No judgement here. The playlist on my ipod feels no shame and Iā€™ve always had a ear for the odd, the trashy and the dodgy cover-version.

Just a bit. They really know their audience but I reckon they were trying way too hard here. But then, my taste is definitely suspect.

Metal from the 80s. Walk the line between cool and cringeā€¦

My sister did that with this, for weeks.

Memorized the entire film, too. She went through this really weird Kevin Costner phase.

And while Iā€™m thinking of bizarrely long lived #1s (like the aforementioned Meat Loaf one), how about this giant turd from Four Weddings and a Funeral (itself a giant turd of a film)?

While I think about itā€¦

Why is this not on here?

2 Likes

Heā€™s no Klaus Nomi.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s nostalgia or a sporadic love of kitsch, but a lot of this stuff from the '80s and '90s I wouldnā€™t mind hearing once or twice or ten times.

The revulsion only starts to kick in when itā€™s still getting heavy airplay months, years or days (depending on frequency of play) after the initial novelty and exciting associations have grown old in my mind.

Not sure if this makes me a hipster or just a relatively standard human being.

2 Likes

As long as weā€™re heading into Dr. Demento landā€¦

Thanks. I had somehow managed to completely expunge that song from my memory. Since itā€™s back now, I decided to share the pain with some younger friends who wouldnā€™t have memory of it and did a little Googling to dredge up the relevant info I didnā€™t remember. In doing so, I stumbled upon this:

Enjoyā€¦

1 Like

Did he just say ā€œno woman no cryā€?

I heard some rumbling about Jamaica

I was going to ask how Dr. Demento necessarily equated with awful, but you pulled through with that second one.

1 Like

holy fuck, that videoā€¦

1 Like

Thereā€™s no fine line for that video, itā€™s 100% cringe.

2 Likes

Paul McCartney on drugs: Helter Skelter
Paul McCartney on no drugs: The Frog Song

End the War on Drugs!

3 Likes

ā€œThe mountain callsā€ and ā€œAll I want is dancing with you baby.ā€ Plus: shout-outs to Desmond Dekker and Bob Marley. Makes perfect sense.

I think I heard ā€œraga manā€ in there too but it might have just been my brain short circuiting from too many incongruities.

1 Like

If you want a Frog Song, you really need to get the older one. (This one properly belongs in the Awesome thread. The lyrics here have typos and spelling errors, mainly in the English, but get across enough of Charleboisā€™ humour.)

I want to put this out there.

not because it is the worse song in the world (it is quite bad), but mainly cause of the autotune-disaster it unleashed on us since.

7 Likes

not because it is the worse song in the world (it is quite bad), but
mainly cause of the autotune-disaster it unleashed on us since.

Agreed. Autotune was bad enough as the lazy market driven ā€œfixerā€ of bad vocals it was, before Cherā€™s producers pushed it into the obnoxious effect category. I can deal with talk box, and admit to a soft spot for vocoder, but the rapid quantization with autotune is just nasty.

Not entirely sure where to put this.
Whatā€™s one of the greatest bits of proto-techno missing? Lyrics. To be specific, French lyrics. Merci, Antoine.

5 Likes
2 Likes

WORDS? They fail me.

1 Like

Wait, this oneā€™s in the wrong category.

5 Likes