Badass Space Dragon 2.0 - Round 4 - Cube Farm

“Already took care of Luckybeard, Natasha @davide405. Let’s see if we can’t spread that grease around elsewhere!”

Since the two loans described below were for the same amount, I think we can safely assume the funds are now available for the second one.

@DreamboatSkanky, consider your loan funded.

CC: @patrace

4 Likes

[Lazlo looks somber as he listens to the last strains of Sssir Galaxy’s composition, looks at his purchase order on the softly glowing console, and sighs with an emotional note known only to space lobsters]

“Every fleet needs a poet. And if we’re gonna do this right, we’re gonna do this right.”

[Lazlo cancels the installation of the two racks of Clawbuster homing missiles from Ella’s shop and opens hailing frequencies]

“Galaxy? (@Donald_Petersen) Here’s b50. Let’s do this. Starfox formation. Come fly Mission 2 with us, boyo.”

(edited above mission orders to remove b50 of FP upgrade for transfer to I.M.V. Carcinogenic Denture)

4 Likes

OOC.

Have fun making this all add up, @patrace!

5 Likes

[Lazlo nudges Natasha (@davide405) in the moose ribs, and laughs heartily.]

“Took care of ol’ Quirky(@DreamboatSkanky) too. And just funded Sssir Galaxy (@Donald_Petersen), 'cause the old lizard pens a fine space shanty. From each according to ability, to each according to need. Amirite?”

Unizone delenda est.

5 Likes

Illegitimi non carborundum!

5 Likes

Perhaps I shall survive.

Mission 1 please.

1 Like

[Takes a peek a the timestamp on his trusty chronometer again and vocalizes an oddly sibilant three-tone whistling noise.]

@wisconsinplatt, @greenglyph, @Demiurgus “Ain’t no minute like the last minute, eh? But if those SpaceBits are burnin’ a hole in yer cargobay and yer destiny is ta be used for target practice, consider makin’ a funds transfer for the good of Charybdis.”

3 Likes

Lazlo, you are AMAZING.
Here’s hoping you make it through – you are cutting it very, very close.

–Falkayn

1 Like

“An’ that’s why a group of space lobsters is known as a ‘[risk][1]’, bub. No grit, no glory.”

[Lazlo grins and approximates a wink by waggling an eyestalk. It’s kinda creepy.]

Unizone delenda est.”
[1]: A Compendium of Collective Nouns: From an Armory of Aardvarks to a Zeal of ... - Woop Studios - Google Books

4 Likes

“Ar. Ahem. Yarg,” (cough cough) “Arr. Avast. Shiver me nanobots.”

(knock knock)

“Thir?”

“Garrr! Away wit’ ye, ye jumped-up cabin boy! I’m plottin’ me retribution here, and will brook no interruption from me inferiors!”

“But thir…”

“But me no butss! The Cap’n’s Head is sssacrosssanct ssspace, and those who dare disssturb their ssskipper therein risssk extended duty in the glory-hole barrel!”

“Aye, Captain… only… I think thith will interetht you.”

“Ye’ve thought that before, ye lily-spleened gutterskink, and ye haven’t been right yet.”

“Ath our occasional competitorth with antlerth are wont to thay, Thith Time Fer Sure!”

“Sigh… what iss it, Professssor?”

“I was on the bridge a moment ago, ath per your orderth, er, thwabbing the deck, when I heard a metallic clink over next to the Organ Replicator. It came from within your… er… cuthpidor.”

“What in the Ssseven Fanged Hellsss is a ‘cuthpidor’?”

“Your thpittoon, thir. From the Inflatable Pub. The one you carried back to the ship after the gig. You may not remember it, you looked rather dazed and dethpondent…”

“Belay that! Why in the name of all that is ssscaled and unholy would I care about a clink in a ssspittoon?”

“Look inthide, thir.”

“I can’t sssee a thing in there…”

“Perhapth if you remove that undignified eyepatch…”

“What… what is that?”

“If you thrape off the dried bile, you’ll thee it’th a ThtarBitCoin.”

“A fiver? How’d that get in there? I ssswore there was nothing in there but krill-hussskss and a few ssspatteringsss of used beer.”

“Not a fiver, thir. If you flick off that booger, you’ll find a zero.”

“A fifty? What… how…?”

(beep boop bzzt)

“Meththage for you thir, on your private comm.”

“Well… I’ll. Be. Damned.

“Very likely, thir. But what’th thith? Ith that a… a tear coming from your eye?”

“Don’t be ridiculousss, Professssor. Even if Lizardsss could cry, I have no biological eyesss anymore. It’sss jussst a bit of… hydraulic leakage.”

“Why, thir, I do believe you’re… moved. Touched, even. And all thethe yearth I’d thought you’d had that heart retrofitted with…”

“Shut up, Prof. Help me get thisss ridiculousss getup off.”

“Tho we won’t be harrying the thpathewayth, terrorizing the unwary and growing fat off the richeth of the under-armored?”

“Not today, Prof.”

(click. feedback whine. squeal.)

“Ahoy @Slaal! I’ll send you 2ST worth of my starfield-painted hull platesss for b15, bettering your prior offer of b9 for 1ST. Sssound good to you?”

(click. staticstaticstatic. distorted norteño music. static. beep.)

“Ahoy, Lazlo! @messana You’re a prince among arthropodsss. You won’t regret thisss. The Denture’s teeth are at your command.”

Upon confirmation by @slaal, I’ll accept b15 in exchange for:

give @slaal 2ST

Which puts me at 26ST, and with a positive balance of b6.8000

Then I accept @messana’s generous subsidy of b50, bringing my balance to b56.8000

Wish I could upgrade, but what the hell… even at 43% hull integrity I can handle a few asteroids.

Mission 2 - Nebulous

End balance - b6.8000

6 Likes

With the captain feeling a bit under the weather, Lt Rockford chooses

Mission 4

Sadly, the captain did not leave his SpaceBits Express card, so we won’t be buying anything

1 Like

A word about banking, funds transfers, and the "backoffice"

or, how money gets to Ella without Unizone accounting knowing about it

When one makes a typical space bit transfer, it seems as if one is giving a “thing” from one captain to another.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The messages we see here in public are formally known as “acknowledgements of intent” – holiday greeting cards, if you will. What instead happens is a set of interlocking transactions between outside parties that, collectively, we call “CharybWire.”

As befits a young galaxy with a chaotic birth, the CharybWire is a still developing, chaotic overlap of legacy systems: Crucially, there is no central “organizing authority,” despite Unizone’s aggressive efforts to control the payment system. Note NIilah’s ability to place massive bets on the slugraces right under Unizone’s nose and then collect her winnings

In these communications, we have been been speaking casually about Unizone credit and personal transfers as if these where one and the same, but there are many ways to move money (and other things) around Charybdis that escape Uinzone’s touch, or even notice.

For those using the community banking service, payments to Ella are invisible to Unizone accounting. Money is moved from the community bank to Ella’s banking portal (a different place entirely than her storefront) physically. The community bank board has deep experience with “deliveries” and knows how to get a few envelopes to Ella without attracting Unizone’s attention. Crucially, no money or credit ever touches any element of the CharybWire system. Thus, Ella is happy: she has the money. Unizone accounting doesn’t know: their CharybWire realtime monitoring system never sees an asset in the system to seize as payment.

The fly in the ointment is that the community bank is running an enormous risk on your behalf. The ability of the bank to keep Unizone at bay depends crucially on captains repaying their debts upon completion of their missions.

This is where the community aspect of community banking comes in: we have a stake in your success, unlike Unizone, which just wants your money. But we are depending on you to help us, when you have the ability to do so.

Self-interested Co-operation is the basis of all success

@patrace, when this thread locks, I will post over at Duck’s my understanding of all the transfers that happened this round. I know it’s a lot to keep track of, and the creakiness of the CharybWire system can make it maddening to get everything to work smoothly. Thanks.

10 Likes

orders for Muddlin’ Through

b151.5 starting balance
-b36.0 transfer to @uphill to repay loan+interest (previously logged)
-b25.0 transfer to @davide405 to fund community bank (previously logged)
-b10.8 transfer to @davide405 additional funding for community bank ( new entry)
-b3.0 transfer to @PromptedInk interest payment
-b40 Mission 4: “Hat’s off to Don Mondo”
-b25.0 Repairs at Ellas (+10 hp)
-b5.0 1 cask Benemede Honeywine ~b5/cask

6.7 final balance

(I’m on the wrong device, so I’ve gotta do this via email replay, and don’t know how to make it block quote.)

It seems like I always sleep all week. This work must be more tiring than I thought. Anyway, best take advantage of access to the Unizone shop while I still can!

I am in need of:

b25 - Alumaximum Dip Kit (+10 MaxHP / +10 HP)
b40 - Nano Patch Goop / Bucket (25 HP) (X 2, for 50 HP)

Then off to Ella’s for a retrofit to do some Espionage!

b50 - Homing Missiles (X 2) (8 FP)
b40 - Mission 3: Cube Farm

Confirmed! With a b2 tip for the speedy delivery. I need those shiny new hull plates post-haste!

Wait a second! These aren’t shiny and new at all!? I demand a refund! Nothing but the shiniest for me!

Oh, wait, that’s rather the point isn’t it… Goes to show why my ship has never been that stealthy.

updated registration:

-b17 transfer to @Donald_Petersen
-b50 Hull Repairs (20 HP)
-b25 Homing Missiles (4 FP)
-b40 Mission 3 - Cube Farm

3 Likes

@Demiurgus - “No rest for the weary, bub. Crash course to bring you up to speed: Purchase of any parts with Unizone locks you into taking Mission 1 and all the pain that comes with it. If ya plan on flyin’ any missions with Ella, ya gotta buy all yer parts from her.”

2 Likes

Mission 3 for horatio alger!!! If the loan does not come through, consider me to have sold my blasters (previously purchased) to Unizone or Natasha.

Edit - @patrace - please note this.

Did i need to transfer my blasters? If so consider txfr’d/

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.