Badass Space Dragon 2.0 - Round 4 - Cube Farm

Apologies if I’m not communicating well.

Each ship is loaded with Unizone parts. They have you on strings. Ella will replace those parts but only if you can afford one of Ella’s missions this round.

If you can’t afford Ella, you’re stuck on Mission 1 until more options open up next round. If you want to blow up your ship, you will die. If you want to try something subversive when they aren’t looking, you will probably also die.

Mission 3, you have a near 100% chance of success but you might get shot up pretty good.

3 Likes

Egad! Let’s make that b13.9

Can or can’t?

1 Like

True fact. Unizone is not playing nice with their valued partners. Although they did pay for a lot of those shields they’re about to dent.

Image by WmSpear

2 Likes

DAMNNNNN. Can.

3 Likes

7 Likes

I hear it’s mandatory up there you know.

7 Likes

[Lazlo feels a wave of inspiration wash over him after the last conversation and clambers atop a hovertable.]

“Oy, Krabby! Yeah, you with the tiny, little hat. Lookin’ tough. Hangin’ out with a bigun’ like Nilah hopin’ you get a few bits of chum tossed yer way now an’ again.”

“That’s right. I said Krab-with-a-‘Kay’, Krabby McKrabbersons. That’s how ya know it’s fake crab. I’m callin’ you out. You might be a sharp one behind whatever console you sit in front of when ya got the rest of Nilah’s crew to carry for you, but I’m callin’ you out lobbo-a-krabbo. I’m gonna patch this broke-shelled hull up in the Unizone Pardner store, ‘cause you sure don’t want folk to think you had an unfair advantage, eh? An’ once that’s done, you grab yer own ship an’ I’ll grab mine an’ I’ll meet you right outside this station, masers a blazin’. Lobbo-a-crabbo.”

“That’s right, son. I’m challengin’ ya to a duel. You and your tiny. ridiculous. hat.”

[Lazlo makes a motion toward the enormous crab that is recognized as universally obscene claw-gesture by a vast number of of astro-crustaceans. And finishes with the cocking of an as-yet invisible hat atop his armored head]

8 Likes

A Still More Glorious Dawn Awaits

It’s not an easy life out here on the fringe, it doesn’t rain starBits and your jalopy is a buggy mainframe wrapped in dents. …But that view. All those uncounted stars, the undiscovered planets. The possibilities really are infinite.

Please remember, this is just a game. I don’t want to see anyone making the conflicts personal or taking out their stresses on anyone in this space. I appreciate all the effort you put into this game, all the nice messages and music videos and art. I want this to continue to be something wonderful, let’s hang onto that spirit.

If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

8 Likes

Jukebot Willy scratches to a halt. Conversations sputter out. Silence.

Crabby looks Lazlo up and down in disbelief and then erupts into shrill, clicking laughter. Crabby slings a heavy claw over Lazlo’s shoulder and Willy picks up a new tune.

Crabby: Yer Alright.

After a long hoot, Nilah’s gang packs up their light weights and lost causes.

Nilah: See you soon!

Damn, those are some nice ships. Listen to the thrum of the harmonic sublight engines as they tuck into the black. Whuf.

6 Likes

Natasha of the БПMК Glorious Space Moose Collective, has made a generous loan. With this loan, I do burn my current Unizone contract, which has left me hatless and my hull full of holes, and more importantly continuously offered missions bereft of properly shooting things until they explode! While my first impulse is to join mission 3, I must repay my debts and choose something more ordinary…

b9.4
+b40.6 (Loan from Natasha)
----
-50b Mission 2 - Nebulous

The cleansing flames are very hypnotizing, yes.

Hmm, now what to do with this?

6 Likes

“That’sss a big “if”, Missster Sssagan…”

“What’th that you thay, thir?”

“Nothing, Professssor. Jussst muttering to myssself. Hand me the nine-sssixteenthsss.”

“Here you go.”

“My thanksss…”

squeak. groan. grind. clatter.

“Would you like me to…?”

Sssssshitfire and sssave ignition acccellerantsss!! That sssmartsss!”

“Thir, let me fetch you a hoseclamp. You’re leaking lubricant all over the hull.”

“Damn it all to the Herpetoid Hellsss, let it burn off in orbital re-entry. Ssstop fussssing over me.”

“Thir, I can’t help but notithe that your… er, thcale condition appearth to be worthening.”

“Leave it alone!”

“Thir, don’t pick at it, ethpecially not with that filthy wrench…”

“Will you ssstop mothering me?!”

“I can’t help it, thir, I am growing increathingly contherned about thith condition. It lookth like…”

“It’sss not.”

“Perhapth you can’t thee it properly from your vantage, but it thertainly lookth alarmingly like…”

It’sss NOT. Do not even sssay it.”

“I greatly fear to name it out loud, for fear to give shape and deadly reality to that which all Thpathe Lizardth dread motht highly of all…”

“I’m ordering you, Professssssssssor, to keep that forked tongue in your head, lessst I give it a more civil occupation in the ssstarboard head of the Denture. As a cloacal maintenance ream.”

“Thir! You wouldn’t!”

“Don’t tessst me, Professsor. You know how irritable the crew’s bowels have been sssince we lassst took on sssuppliesss out beyond the Moosssehead Nebula.”

“I thuddenly feel a bit queasy mythelf, come to think of it.”

“Now, let usss have no more talk of… of ssskin conditionsss we will not talk about. Capissssssce?”

“Aye, Captain. Tho, what should we do about repairth?”

“I confessss, I am ssstumped. Everywhere I look under the hood I find non-ssstandard fassstenersss and fittingsss. I thought the dealer affirmed that even pre-I.C.U.P. maintenance and repair sssuitesss would present no difficulty in interfacing with this ship, but I’ll be damned if I can find a sssingle valve or nut that doesn’t require a proprietary Unizone sssocket or driver. I can’t even retune the hexatonic resonance array on thisss dad-blamed sssix-ssstringer without a Unizone-specced tuning fork.”

“Tho… thelf-repair is out, then?”

“I can’t fix it, and neither can you.”

“We’re below 43% integrity, thir. And over eight ThtarBitth in the hole. We’re too buthted to fight, too broke to fix, and too beat to run. What do we do?”

“What we Sssspace Lizardsss alwaysss do when cornered. Well, what we do in a corner when we’ve already lossst our tailsss. And we’re mortgaged to the hilt. And our mate has done us wrong, and up and left usss for sssome toad.”

Sir Galaxy slams shut the hood and presses a hidden switch. The Carcinogenic Denture rumbles and shakes, then begins to… recede. It looks for all the world like it’s getting farther and farther away, while remaining docked comfortably in its berth next to the Inflatable Pub. For all practical purposes, we can say that the Denture has shrunk to about a meter in length, though that is comically inaccurate and would certainly cause violent mirth among the lizard crew inside. Still, Sir Galaxy reaches out and hefts his starship across his midsection, tucks his tired tootsies into his new Comfy Slippers, and heads for the entry hatch of the Inflatable Pub.

“We do what we mussst, Professssor. We busssk.”

15 Likes

11 Likes

You only need b5.0 to be able take Mission 2.

Ask for a loan!

-Falkayn

1 Like

2 Likes
+---------- Ship -----+-- HP ---+- FP -+- SH -+- EN -+- ST -+- LK -+- GRIT -+
| Cosmosword          | 47/99   |  27  |  24  |  21  |  23  |  18  |   4    |
+---------------------+---------+------+------+------+------+------+--------+
Hat: None
StarBits: b5.0000
Additional Notes:
b0 | Mission 3
-46 HP | Shoot Out w/ Nilah's Crew
+2 GRIT | Attempted Capture
+Air Hockey Table | Item

The Cosmosword arrives back at Duck’s Pond, blown halfway to space hell.

Browf: “We made it, Dakota. We’re in several pieces, but we made it!”

Dakota: "Easy for you to say. Count your lucky stars Duck gave me this roll of tape: "

Browf: “Duck, you moose of the hour, give us two shots of your cheapest, nay, second cheapest.”

Dakota and Browf raise their shots, clink, and throw them back. Browf’s eyes widen, followed by Dakota’s, and they both swallow out of fear.

~ art coming soon ~

Dakota: “cough… my throat feels like the rear paneling of the Cosmosword must feel right now”

Browf: “sputter… you ain’t kidding, kid. So how abouts a round of air hockey!”

After recovering from the ‘drink?’, Browf clearly trounced in air hockey by Dakota, the crew sits down and plan the Cosmosword’s next move.

Browf: “We’ve only 5b left. And Unizone has turned on us all. They have credit, but Mom always said don’t live outside your means. But we can’t afford these missions with Ella either. Looks like we’re stranded. If we don’t drum up some cash soon, we’ll be forced to part ways, Dakota.”

Dakota: “I’d love to stick around, but if you can’t retain me, there’ll be no hard feelings.”

Browf: “Thanks doll. I’ll guess I’ll have to ask my buddy Falkayn about his community funding scam, erm, scheme. Sorry, those words just come out naturally. I didn’t mean it. I’ll tell him we intend to do reconnoitre El Unizone and earn back the loan money quickly, but we’ll need to repair.”

+ HULL INTEGRITY AT 47.47% - 47 OF 99HP +
+ LIKELYHOOD OF UNIZONE DETECTION: 59% +

Browf: “Though I don’t like those odds, if we repair fully, we’d at least survive.”

Dakota: “We haven’t yet invalidated our Unizone licences, and yet we’ve escaped entering into debt with Unizone. [@patrace] Can we affordably repair with Unizone first and then turn our backs signing with Ella? It’s not like we have to commit to a mission before we get repairs, right?”

Browf: “Good thinking. How much would repairing with Unizone cost, BAMBI?”

+ 52HP REPAIR FOR 42b : 2 NANO PATCH BUCKETS, 2 NANO PATCH GOOP +

Browf: “And with Ella?”

+ 50HP REPAIR FOR 125b: 5x HULL REPAIRS + 

Browf: “Send the message, BAMBI.”

> TO CAPTAINS IN COMMUNITY BANKING: BROWF/COSMOSWORD REQUESTS 82b LOAN TO FULLY REPAIR (42b) AND COVER MISSION 3 FEE OF 40b, WHICH CURRENTLY. WILL REPAY IN FULL IN 1 CYCLE, INTEREST NEGOTIABLE.

Dakota: "We could always just go into debt with the devil… "

Browf: “Not if we can help it. But if we must debt and run, they have to catch us first, right? At least I have enough to pay you for whatever mission we have next.”

3 Likes

Quirky clutches his glass, and glares at the Omni-Pay™. His crew is gonna be wanting a tee-shirt of that.

4 Likes

And vice-a-versa.

The Captain and grub-crew of the Those Who Deem Inappropriate the Singing of Disney Songs in the Office Bathroom Are Not Worthy of Acknowledgement, in the interests of obtaining a loan, re-iterate our revious statement and do amend that, uh, we know a guy who writes bots. If you’re into that sort of thing. For a price.

Also, we have girl scout cookies.

And a pair of Magnet Boots.

Uh, fellow capitans &c, just what is the use of the baubles we have ended up with? Are they trinkets? Magic items? Cosmic fragments that join together to form the Ultimate Protector of Hives and Sentients? Are we supposed to see if we can merge a canned ham a trusty boomerang and magnet boots to see if they form a flying robot death pig (homing)?

1 Like

[Lazlo grabs the tape output, hot from the extruder nozzle of the Compute-O-Tron 9000 and spreads it across one of the ‘cleaner’ hovertables at Duck’s]

“Awright - I gotta basic framework set up for the calulations. Forgive the occasional rounding error, but it’s pretty clear the need is great and the pool just ain’t gonna cover much. Calculation matrix is locked down, but ya can add comments if ya like. This is to get us goin’, I’ll add more in a bit.”

“Luckybeard (@SteampunkBanana) - can ya make due with b35.7 to get to that magic b40? Makes what we got go a little further. I plopped down a repay value in there just to have a number.”