Behold i am become eerily geometric frozen mcrib destroyer of metabolisms

[Permalink]

Strangely corregated!

I’m not shocked at all, it looks just like another other pressed ‘reclaimed’ meat product frozen and shipped for fast food held together with meat glue (transglutaminase)

Heck, with better presentation, sauce and tableware people would pay 40 bucks a plate for it at a upscale Modernist place like Alinea or El Bulli.

7 Likes

I had a McRib a year or two back. Whenever they were made available again in Oregon.

The taste was . . . tolerable. It was porky-ribby-saucey.

But the texture, yugh. Like a low-quality hot dog.

I made the mistake of sucking off the goo and looking at the gray-brown “meat.” There was no fiber to it. It had tiny bubbles. There was no mistaking that it was some kind of composite meatoid substance.

6 Likes

Frozen meat looks weird, film at 11.

8 Likes

Here’s an article by about WYLIE DUFRESNE the chef of the major upscale resturant WD-50, which uses the same techniques (meat glue) to create dishes in his very highly rated resturants.
http://meatpaper.com/articles/2011/mp_fifteen_meatglue.html

Some other chefs I’ve seen promote the technique as being very ecofriendly has more of the animal is used in the product (think hotdogs).
“Long used in cheap, reconstituted meat products like chicken nuggets, the enzyme first showed up on a swanky menu in 2004 when chef Heston Blumenthal made a “mackerel invertebrate” by de-boning a fish and gluing it back together. Blumenthal owns the Fat Duck in Bray, Berkshire, England, which some critics consider the best restaurant in the world.”

Maybe the problem is a bit of snobbery on the people that object to this product: that any slob can go into a McD and get a chemically altered glued together meat product, while they have to pay upwards of 300 bucks for a 12 course tasting menu that does the same thing with better table-settings?

3 Likes

I, for one, am grateful that we use every part of the cow. Or rather, grateful that someone else is using the parts of the cow I don’t want. You have my thanks, McDonald’s patrons.

5 Likes

Just because he uses the same technique in some manner I highly doubt what you get at Dufresne’s place is comparable in taste to McRib meat.

2 Likes

In the interests of being honest they should change the name to “McRibbed.”

2 Likes

Pork: the other white meat. Very white.

3 Likes

While I agree in a sense, wouldn’t transglutaminase be more expensive than this calls for? (even when bought in large amounts.)

I mean, you don’t need it to make a hamburger, this isn’t pretending to be a solid, smoov steak.

1 Like

I agree, the taste and attention would be different. But let’s not fool ourselves, in the form pictured and in the technique WD does…it’s basically at the “Lots of parts glued together stage” before presentation, saucing and plating stage.

I’d love to eat at WD-50 and Fat Duck and others. But they know they get techniques from industrial processes and part of the brilliance is that they’re incorporating those tech and chemicals into great food.

1 Like

Granted, I don’t mind it, but there’s a difference in the end-product between MG cuisine and the lowest end fast food, it starts with excellent ingredients even if some of the food-grade chemicals are the same.

3 Likes

[quote=“SamWinston, post:12, topic:14104”]
in the form pictured and in the technique WD does…it’s basically at the “Lots of parts glued together stage” before presentation, saucing and plating stage.
[/quote]The parts are ostensibly not the cheapest possible flesh the market makes surplus and thrown together with as much gristle as a series of persons determine that a human will tolerate before spitting in the face of the staff.

2 Likes

“McRibbed. For your pleasure.”

9 Likes

But isn’t that what we want? To use every part of a animal to feed people, to use and transform cheap products into things people like and eat?

Wait until you find out about JELLO.

2 Likes

They also make use of all parts of a chicken…
From a recent, Oct, article on nuggets from different restaurants:

That chicken nugget you’re eating may only contain 40 to 50 percent meat, according to a new study that analyzed chicken nuggets from two major fast-food chains. What made up the rest of the nuggets? Researchers said “fat, skin, connective tissue, blood vessels, nerves and bone fragments.”
1 Like

And yet, if you eat a baked chicken breast, a portion of it is fat, skin, nerve tissue, blood vessels, and connective tissue. The only thing you’re unlikely to get is the bone fragments.

It just sounds gross if you enumerate all the different tissues.

7 Likes

True, but I doubt that a chicken breast is composed of 60-50% connective tissue, fat, nerves, etc… One can see such stuff better when eating the better chicken meat i.e. a leg – one can see the blood vessels/etc as you rip the flesh from the bone (might even get a hunk of cartilage if you really work at cleaning it off). Still doesn’t seem close to 60-50% non-meat.

1 Like

Oh, noes, you mean Jell-O isn’t made from the laughter of fairies and rainbows?

{facepalm}

2 Likes