Bigot Fired

This has the fingerprints of Big Torii all over it.

2 Likes

You can read the whole GQ article right here if you like.

It’s my opinion that anyone in America should be allowed to hold whatever beliefs they desire, and also be allowed, when asked, to share those beliefs and stand by them and accept the consequences. Forcing hateful speech upon someone is not acceptable, but I don’t think that’s what this is. It seems to me that he keeps those beliefs without malice toward any individual, or specifically with malice towards homosexuals. I imagine if you introduced yourself to him as a homosexual he’d be polite and respectful and keep it to himself. Contrast his behavior and comments with, those of say, Fred Phelps, and you have someone with whom you can disagree, but still respect on the one hand, and someone you could simply wish would die in a fire, on the other.

He was asked, ‘What, in your mind, is sinful?’, and he gave his honest, heartfelt answer. I don’t share his views, I condemn them, but are we more upset that he has those views, or that he shared them honestly when asked, in a way that reflected his own belief system? It seems to me that A&E has responded appropriately, in stating they don’t share his views, and perhaps they’ll make the choice to drop the show entirely. America could use the opportunity to make TV a little smarter.

He also said

“We never, ever judge someone on who’s going to heaven, hell. That’s the Almighty’s job. We just love ’em, give ’em the good news about Jesus—whether they’re homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort ’em out later, you see what I’m saying?”

It’s not the same as saying “All fags must die!” He merely says that he believes homosexuals will go to hell.

Don’t get confused. I DON’T support his views, but I support his right to have them. I never have watched the show, and I never will. I don’t really watch TV much to begin with.

19 Likes

Excellent comment. And I totally agree with all you say. What I would ask is that the A&E network lose the “A” out of its name. Other than that. I don’t care that much about any of this network tv bull shit.

2 Likes

GQ should probably lose the G, too.

2 Likes

I don’t see a lot of outrage, this statement is probably common for most folks to be subjected to.

The reason this instance is hyped is because of celebrity, money, and of course equal rights, all being thrown togehter.

He has a right to be a bigot, and A&E has a right not to give him a platform. What he said was unconscionable to me, and I would tell him the same if he were to say it in person.

That said, the show is absurdity, but I have found that to be the case with almost all reality-esque television.

3 Likes

Fired?
Out of a cannon?
In the face?
Burnt to a cinder?
My expectations in this regard have certainly not been met.

3 Likes

GLAAD quickly condemned the quotes. “Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil’s lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe,” -Source

What? He believes in the Bible, and the Bible doesn’t say nice things about gay people. Let’s stop pretending that something written back when the only equivalent people had to YouTube was mild pestilence, is going say things that are true or reasonable.

Of course, people reconciling anything modern with the Bible is neither here nor there. DD is very popular where I live and that comment is just going to sell more DD merchandise.Time will tell if it ever gets pulled off air permanently. Will that teach a bunch of people who made their fortunes independently of the TV show anything? Doubtful. You know a lot of gay duck hunters?

Meanwhile I expect to hear a lot of whining from the “persecuted majority.”

3 Likes

Um, I don’t think you get the show. I’ve only seen about 5 minutes of it and I hate it. BUT I do think that the angle of the show from A&E’s point of view (and their true audience, the south) is “Gee look how smart these guys are to get rich, don’t need no degrees or fancy learn’. Good 'ol Boys will always overcome those city slickers in the end. And hooeee! we’re gonna have ourselves some silly times with all this money”. They sell them as “quirky”, not backwards, or bigoted. But A&E knows if you lay down with dogs, you can come up with fleas. So they are dumping him now that he has publicly confirmed he is infact bigoted. Then again, you have seen more of it than me. Maybe it is blatantly bigoted. But then how is that fun to watch?

2 Likes

So, this is a reality show about a self-destructive TV network that produces shows that offend their own executives?

3 Likes

I too thought it was okay… but then my standards have taken a bashing due to exposure to Prometheus.

“It’s my opinion that anyone in America should be allowed to hold whatever beliefs they desire, and also be allowed, when asked, to share those beliefs and stand by them and accept the consequences.”

He did, he did, he did, and he did. What, exactly, is the problem with him getting fired?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. That much is obvious. However, there are two important corollaries here:

1. everyone can and should have their own set of opinions, but you cannot have your own set of facts.
  2. everyone else gets to have their own opinions too, so it’s no good getting precious when other folk deem you an idiot based on your opinions.
    The corollaries are just as important as the entitlement.
7 Likes

However; my opinion is that you are wrong, whatsoever your opinion might be.
Now, how are we to have a meaningful dialogue?

1 Like

Why is there constant preaching about how bad homosexuality is but not about marital infidelity? Marital infidelity affects about half of all marriages and that is very destructive for children. Homosexuality is a political issue in the church rather than a sin…it gets out the vote.

6 Likes

And the Q, considering how often it’s foisted on the world…

1 Like

A&E stands for Accident and Emergency, it’s like the british ER. Dr Dynasty is a practicing surgeon, I presume.

2 Likes

There’s always one.

He wasn’t fired because he caused shock; surprise also isn’t the primary driving force behind news. He poorly represented his employers and likely broke some clause in his contract. It’s being reported because it’s notable - did anyone say they were surprised?

Who said it would be shocking? And if that Morman guy stood up, denounced gay people, and was fired from a TV show, should we bury the news because it’s not shocking enough?

Do we really have to list all the things that the story is not?

“Nobody should be frightened by this…”

“Nobody should be nauseated by this…”

“Nobody should be aroused by this…”

etc.

(I write this in the hope that people stop prefacing their reaction to a news story with a boast of their irrelevant lack of surprise - if I’ve ever done it myself, then I wholeheartedly apologise)

Besides, the real irony is that this was posted because of a positively unexpected reaction from the TV channel. One could say that it was surprising!

6 Likes

Phil Quoted On Growing Up in Pre-Civil-Rights-Era Louisiana
“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field… They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!.. Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues"

How is it this statement isn’t getting the same reaction!

As a gay white person I was offended! Well I guess Phil you turned a blind eye to it? But hey I’ll take you at your word “with my eyes” , I bet though with your ears you heard more then a few mistreatment stories. But that’s right they were just stories no truth to it I 'm guess-in, least according to you. Made up by the Liberal left no doubt, after all dem black folk always like working for the master in the fields … Happy times!

5 Likes

Speaking of bigoted, you’re assuming they don’t have any degrees or fancy learnin’ because they are rednecks. Turns out almost all of them have degrees. Many of them, including Phil, have masters degrees. But it’s an easy mistake o make because they are sold as backwards.

5 Likes

It could be but isn’t necessarily. Grimloki is entitled to his opinion. Weinberg sums up this position neatly.

“Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” -Steven Weinberg

1 Like