Bilbo Baggins' Hobbit house would cost $14m if it were in the Shires of England

[Read the post]

Bilbo owned that house before he scored that chest of dragon gold, so I think he has done all right for himself.

Side note: Did they calculate the value of The One Ring? Cause that’s probably worth more than the gold its made from, I’m guessing.

1 Like

The house was built by Bilbo’s father, Mungo. It was implied that the Baggins were upper class – that’s why working class people like Sam are in awe of them.

2 Likes

I would think the low ceilings would hurt the value…

The Metro‘s experts

A perfect example of an oxymoron.

3 Likes

I see what you did there.

3 Likes

If you see the Baggins family tree it’s a bit more than implied. Frodo’s mother was a Brandybuck, who were the rulers of Buckland.

bilbo was essentially landed gentry. it makes sense.

Bag End was built by Bilbo’s father Bungo Baggins on the occasion of his marriage to Belladonna Took. Ms. Took being a daughter of Gerontius Took who, of course, was son of was the son of Thain Fortinbras I, the Twenty-fifth Thain of the Shire. The Thain was the master of the Shire-moot, and captain of the Shire-muster and the Hobbitry-in-arms.

2 Likes

Dunno about that Winterfell value, they didn’t say where the assumed site was. Best case is Northumberland or central Scotland, though you get the impression it’s even more in the ass end of nowhere than is available in the UK, like the Central Asian Steppes. Location, location, location.

Supervillains, nuclear powers, vampiric nobility, and the occasional shadowy dystopian corpronation siting a new R&D complex, have really done wonders for the property values of the various ass ends of nowhere.

It’s still not as bad as London or anything.

1 Like

I thought the Shire was Moseley Bog?

Thank you for reminding me why I stopped reading Tolkein.

5 Likes

And presumably worth less after it was razed…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.