Björk's new video for "Lionsong"

[Permalink]

1 Like

She lost me with Volta, but this sounds decent. Plus, she looks like a giant dandelion, neat!
Thanks for posting!

2 Likes

A bit long, but the singing boobs are a nice touch.

1 Like

Cool. Good to see Bjork is still riding the atonal unicorn on the irrational edge of popular music.

1 Like

I’ve loved her since the Sugarcubes days, but I also don’t think that she’s offering anything new or additionally insightful as an artist at this point. We unconditionally love some of our favorite artists and will love them even if they’re just singing the birthday song. I’ll always love her, but…

1 Like

The new album is pretty terrific, but is very much a concept piece about her recent separation; the songs are full of a lot of pain. The 10+ minute “Black Lake” is definitely going into a new territory for her.

1 Like

@2:13

1 Like

This is an interesting criticism. They had a Radiohead week on Stereogum, and the same critique gets levelled at them a lot. I’ve been thinking about it, I wonder if this is a reasonable way to look at the development arc of an artist?

I mean, is it reasonable to expect that Bjork and Radiohead should continuously push boundaries with every release, or is it more reasonable to see them as developing their own point of view with ever finer articulation? Because if it’s the latter, you would expect the style to crystalise and reach a kind of steady state. And while that might not be the most exciting period for fans, it does seem a little harsh to be always chastising them for not continuing to push.

Edit: @euansmith that’s hilarious, I was thinking of ACDC when I wrote this, and how no one ever gets upset because they aren’t pushing boundaries. Not that a desire for edgy acts to keep pushing is something I am really down on, it just seems like an interesting creative question.

3 Likes

What! Bjork’s going to sing the Birthday Song! Squeeeeeee!

I was listening to 6 Music’s chin stroking music review programme when AC/DC released a new album. They jury’s response was that it sounded exactly like every other AC/DC album, and that was exactly what they wanted; 10/10.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.