Boy, 11, asks girl, 8, to see her puppies. She declines. He shoots and kills her

I should note that this could still allow a test-firing in a safe direction as an extra test… if you’re taking all the same precautions you would take if you were purposefully discharging a round (ensuring the direction is clear, warning, etc).

The possible problem is that someone who has visually and physically checked that the weapon is unloaded is likely to have a tendency to want to skip some precautions because they “know” it’s unloaded anyways. And, well… people can be stupid.

2 Likes

Both.

Stack the probabilities. If you get two (fairly high for the sake of the argument) independent 1:1000 probabilities of something going wrong properly stacked, you get a 1:1e6 chance of both of them going wrong at the same time.

I hope you’re a vegan, other wise you’re pretty hypocritical with that statement. Unless you run out in a farmer’s field and wrestle your hamburger to the ground, your food was born with the odds stacked against it. Though it is possible you have just a stereotype in your head on how people hunt.

Sigh.

It isn’t some booby trapped device waiting to trick you so it can just go off. Owning a fire arm is EXTREMELY easy to take care of safely. The fear comes from unfamiliarity and the fact that you don’t read about 80 million gun owners who lives another day hurting no one nor themselves.

Knives - while not as dangerous as guns - ARE dangerous and require proper handling every time you use them. Do you get cold sweats and fear ever time you cut up an apple that you night cut yourself? I doubt it, because you are familiar with it and confident of your ability to use it safely.

The most in self danger of myself and others I have ever felt was when I used a gas powered chain saw to down a tree. It worked out ok, but I had the flashes of fear I was going to screw something up, even though I had taken the proper precautions. Of course if I used it more than once I probably would have no fear.

2 Likes

You’d have to really hide it. Like have a 500pr 533kr1t hidey hole for it; otherwise you are right, it will be stolen. My grandfather’s heirloom rifles and shotguns from the late 1800’s were stolen from his closet… during the day. Pissed me off, because I wanted them after he passes away. He’s still kickin’ though, so I’m happy.

If you’re going to buy a gun safe, get one that is so heavy and substantial that there is no way they are getting it out of there or prying the door open. You are looking at about 800 bucks to a grand for the smallest of the large gun safes. The good news is that you could put important documents and jewelry in there, too.

1 Like

I’m not passing anything off as sport. I want to shoot it so that I can eat it. I’m hungry. When’s the last time you saw a grouse wrapped in plastic at a grocery store?

2 Likes

And, still, there are people who ban locking blades for folding knives, at some locations. I for one am not willing to obey such laws, because a blade that tends to fold to itself, possibly with my fingers underneath, without being explicitly commanded to do so, is stupid. Don’t ask how I know…

Maybe it is good that the ban-everything do-gooders are kept busy with an unwinnable trench war about guns…

You and I both have some knowledge that we’d rather not have. However when I have to use a non-locking blade, I’ve learned about keeping the vectors pointed always towards the cutting edge and making sure the blade doesn’t bind on a back-stroke. Egads, gives me the heeby jeebies thinking about blades on the backs of my fingers… twitch twitch, flashbacks.

Yup, learned the hard way too. Still, sometimes getting a near-miss.

And it is a problem that’s easy to rectify; a hole drilled through both the moving and nonmoving part in an open position, and a lock pin through. With a magnet, a spring, or a thread to hold it in.

1 Like

They banned locking blades? That is ridiculous. Locking blades are 100% a safety issue. Now that I own a decent CRKT, I will never own a non-locking folder. Even the cheapy back up one I have in my tool box has a lock on it.

Switch blades were demonized around the time a bunch of other things were and banned as they were seen as something only juvenile delinquents use. But they can come in handy. Most folders at least come with one hand opening levers.

Also some were discussing whether to pull the trigger or not after making a gun “safe”. There are two schools of thought on it - one is that assures the gun is empty and for some guns you can visually see they are no cocked. USPSA uses that as part of the “make safe” procedure before you reholster. But you have a Range Officer over your shoulder and if you did manage to screw up, you end shooting into the berm.

On the other hand, extractors do occasionally fail, and you can end up thinking a weapon is empty but is not. That is why if you do use this method at home, you need to take two precautions. 1) would be to both VISUALLY and PHYSICALLY inspect the chamber for a round. If you are primed to see an empty chamber, your brain might actually fool you into thinking you saw an empty chamber. Putting a finger in the chamber to assure it is indeed empty is the best practice. It also works well for if you have low light for some reason. 2) when you do drop the hammer, make sure the gun is pointed at something “safe”. I personally use boxes full of magazines. Some people use a bucket of sand. Cops will use their duty vest. At the very least, point it at the ground, not thing alive, and not your 50" New LED TV.

Also if you do dry fire exercises, you want to use the same precautions. Always still have it pointed in a safe direction. Have NO live ammo around, keep it all locked up. Any time you set it down and come back, check to verify bullet fairies didn’t load it. Best practice is to have it pointed at something that could stop a bullet, but at the very least have it pointed where it would not hurt anyone.

2 Likes

UK, some other places, NYC and some cities in the US.

Never underestimate the stupidity of a politican trying to “do good”.

1 Like

You should shop at nicer stores: http://www.dartagnan.com/buy/wild-scottish-game-birds/

2 Likes

For a second I thought you were talking to yourself. You bananas all look the same.

9 Likes

still just look at them!

2 Likes

We’ve already got the gun control conversation here, and now you want to bring in the racism one on top of that?

5 Likes

Sure, I mean, people get killed all the time (in some places even more often than they do in car accidents) and a mass murder has happened in the US nearly every day over the last 3 years and their very commonness feeds directly into the racist murder of black people by police officers, and the whole reason the second amendment even exists is to provide armed patrols to hunt slaves, but I mean, none of that matters to me because I really like my guns. They’re shiny.

1 Like

It’s not. It’s fruitism.

5 Likes

I would love to if there were one here. No I am not going to mail order one.

They’re about 20 minutes away from me, so I’m probably spoiled. But if you’re ever in the New York metro area, you can get some incredible duck from them as well.

Well, at least there’s no tomatoes in here. Then things could really get controversial.

1 Like

Calling the farce of hunting a “sport” isn’t hypocritical in light of my meat eating- It’s not that the animal dies that I have a problem with; it’s the delusion that hunting with a firearm gives the animal any sort of chance.

My knives, even when I misuse them, seldom kill me. Even when they draw blood.
My children, even when they cut themselves with a knife they shouldn’t be touching, don’t kill themselves or others. My knives, it’s also worth noting, exist for reasons other than the destruction of life.

Look- if you want guns in your house, fine. I just don’t understand why you would.