'Breaking Bad,' Season 5, Episode 14, 'Ozymandias': review

The idea of Jesse being “as close to an innocent this show has ever had” is an interesting one (and one I’ve seen expressed a lot), especially since, in my mind, Marie is much closer to the innocent. Besides being a recovering klepto and kind of annoying, she’s kind of the antithesis of Walt. She’s done everything she could for her family (trying to protect her nephew and niece at all costs, being an emotional doormat for Hank all during his recovery, etc.) without doing any major law-breaking. Jesse started out as a meth dealer and has a couple of murders/accomplice to murders to his name–Marie stole a gaudy trinket and a pair of shoes. I suppose it speaks to how well the show (and Aaron Paul) has painted Jesse as the broken man/lost puppy.

But what do I know. I’m still rooting for Walt, and I don’t care who knows it.

3 Likes

I was watching “Anasazi,” Had to work with what I had.

Besides, do you want my head to explode? Do you?

Perhaps not but then again we don’t yet know what information Walt has months from now. I think you may be overestimating the generosity of these convicted criminals by thinking they are going to share these millions for a cause. The Aryan Brotherhood is not some political cause people get involved in because of some ideals shared with white supremacist groups. It is an organized crime syndicate people get involved with for power and protection in the tribal environment of prison.

Ha, I’ve been mainlining X-Files on Netflix too, and am a few episodes past where Mulder punches Skinner. Great, very Breaking Bad-esque three-part episode.

I watched The X-Files religiously when it was originally on but was slightly too young for it. Most of it is burned deeply into the recesses of my memory - I recall almost everything as I watch, but couldn’t tell you what happens next. Or maybe that’s due to the implant.

I’m glad to be watching Breaking Bad as it originally airs and being old enough to appreciate it, but it’ll be fun to share these things with future generations (not that there won’t be great new stuff in the future too).

Yeah, again, I don’t think Vince Gilligan is really looking at this from a good vs. evil POV (like you obviously are). I think looking at the series in terms of good vs evil is missing the point. Thankfully no one in this show is measured in terms of good and evil (with the possible exception of Meth Demon). This is a good thing as I generally find such characters boring.

It occurs to me that the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is not unrelated to the Schrödinger’s Cat gedankenexperiment, which involves a vial of deadly poison. Kind of a stretch, and I don’t know what it might mean, just thinking out loud.

I totally agree. The first thing I said when I saw that shot was “Is she going to call the police, or is she going to go for the knife?”

I still hold to my prediction that the final episode is going to be about Walt’s redemption, coming back to rescue Jesse from the Nazis. As for the ricin? I don’t think it’s for him, and I doubt he’s worried about it falling into the wrong hands… Lydia is a good candidate, though I’m unsure of what the motive would be at the moment.

1 Like

Don’t you think that Walt has gone past the point of redemption? He’s a monster and I think he’s starting to realize it himself.

I don’t think this is accurate. He’s not very expressive, but that’s a mask for a quick thinking and direct man. He’s not introspective, nor does he have empathy, but he’s not dumb.

1 Like

I think a few months hanging around on his own in New Hampshire, contemplating his mortality, is going to turn Walt around. He was SUPER reluctant to order the hit on Jesse, as he thinks of him in a very fatherly way and has done TONS to protect him (mostly to his own detriment), and only finally was willing to order his death when he figured that Jesse was completely unwilling to listen to reason. If he finds out that instead of giving him a quick death, the Nazis imprisoned him and forced him to cook meth for them, I can see Walt finally snapping and realizing what a lunatic he’s been, and deciding that it’s time to man up and do something good in his remaining days. But we’ll see.

3 Likes

A few things I haven’t seen mentioned yet.

1. Was Skyler also dressed head to toe in white in the flashback scene?

2. Walt’s money has been his sole concern, driving him to near insanity and allowing him to fall for Jessie’s trap. But in a last ditch effort to save Hank he was willing to give up his fortune.

3. It is interesting that he was willing to do anything possible to save Hank, but wanted Jessie to suffer. They’re motives and hatred for Walt were the same, and both could be considered family.

4. I understand sparing Walt’s life at the request of Meth Damon, but why give him 11million dollars? Sure, 69 million sounds great, but 80 million sounds better. Also why enable him? Was it a peace offering hoping that Walt wouldn’t try to take revenge on the people that just killed his brother in law and stole his money?

I’m not sure even Uncle Jack really appreciates what an asset he has in Todd. This line of work really agrees with him.

4 Likes
  1. ?
  2. I think Walt knew what Hank’s death would cost him with regards to his family. It’s hard to put a price on that.
  3. See #2. Jesse is still a threat to Walt and his family at this point. What is to stop him from gong back to the police?
  4. I think the Meth Demon explanation is the one we are expected to believe. Someone suggested earlier that the other Aryans may have some fear for him as he is not normal (therefore unpredictable) but they need him to cook.

They’re nazis - that money is probably spread all over “free citizen” militia compounds, converted to gold and ammo and burred in sealed PVC caches in backwoods Idaho.

I think these guys certainly believe their bullshit, but they’re not really the compound-in-the-woods idealists. They’re a gang, pure and simple.

2 Likes

Vince Gilligan said on the podcast that when they wrote the scene of him getting the ricin, that they didn’t really have a plan for it yet.

1 Like

Uhm… that’s what I said. That quote isn’t from my post. It’s from the one I replied to.

1. Skyler wearing all white in both scenes signifies her innocence and also sets on some continuity between the two scenes (similar to the knife and phone shot).

2. Jessie is still a threat, but so was Hank. Jessie would never go after his family, especially the children.

3. The Aryans may be afraid of Meth Damon, but I don’t remember him saying “let Mr White survive and make sure he has plenty of money”. I think sparing his life would have been enough and it seems like a spur of the moment thought by the uncle…

1. I understand the alleged significance of white. I just don’t know whether or not she was wearing it.
  2. It doesn’t matter that Hank is also a threat. Walt obviously thinks a dead Hank is a bigger threat to his relationship with his family than a dead Jesse. (Notice how reluctant Walt is to reveal this to Skylar and Junior?) He also believes he can convince Hank to go along with his plan in exchange for his life and he knows the money ( a.k.a. Hank’s evidence) will be gone with the Aryans. At this point Walt thinks he can either have the money or his family. Walt chooses family.
  3. It doesn’t matter how the Aryan knows what Meth Demon wants . All that matters is he knows.

The moment that got me the most was when Walt offered all his money to save Hank’s life. That was the biggest surprise. Everything Walt has done has been for all that money and he suddenly was willing to give it all up to save Hank. Great moment and, oddly enough, in character for Walt (if not Heisenberg).

Anna Gunn running after Walt got to me more but that may be due to having experienced similar situations.