Brianna Wu pwns a misogynist troll

I keep seeing these #germergoat “gentlemen” who somehow seem to think that their abuses of $female_developer are somehow justified by claiming that she’s not a “real” game developer (for vague, ridiculous reasons that essentially question her technical proficiency, even when she’s not a programmer). Except all they end up doing is showing that they don’t understand how game development works at all and that they have no legitimate beef with the developer (because if they actually had a legit reason, they’d use that to attack her, but they don’t).

17 Likes

So you agree with me that the troll is arsehole, but didn’t read beyond the first five words of my post.

Well who cares anyway.

2 Likes

I did read your post (and you have no reason to think @funruly didn’t). Maybe the reason you were dismissed was because you used the terms “moral tyranny” and “insidious oppression” to describe other people expressing their opinions on a web forum. You are against expression of views you disagree with, just like 99.999% of everybody.

18 Likes

I don’t own an iPhone, so I can’t say if the game is any good.

But the game looks fine in motion. It’s only the in screenshots does it start to look like crap.

The people complaining, literally, never even watched a video of gameplay.

2 Likes

And when you get done being outraged by the misogynist troll, make sure to check out this sponsored link!

Hubba, hubba! A photo gallery of Melissa Rauch? Well, nothing misogynist about that! Oh, hey, though, they say things about her and her character that aren’t about her looks. So, not misogynist at all, just like Playboy.

So yeah, as people point out, this guy’s just a jerk. But something rubs me wrong about the response: it’s a bunch of technical details with a challenge of, “do you even know what the fuck you’re talking about?” Sounds sooooo much like the kind of crap thrown at gamer and cosplay girls…and besides, I don’t need to know how to develop for the Unreal Engine to know that my experience with an Unreal game on a tablet (Goat Simulator) ran like ass, or whether or not I like a game. I haven’t played this, but if I saw those screenshots and knew nothing about the developer, it’d take some major convincing to dissuade me from thinking it was shovelware.

2 Likes

I am tempted to buy a copy when it comes out on PC just cause.

1 Like

Which makes it perfectly fine, because Swift’s well known as a rapper and for trading insults.

12 Likes

So strange, considering how supportive he has been otherwise in treating women as if they were equal human beings to him.

He’s probably just still mad at her for being an award-winning singer.

/s

17 Likes

Jeeze, it looks awful.

Seapunk was exploiting '90s graphics a few years ago.

It does kinda have that ReBoot look about it, doesn’t it? I guess I could almost see the complaint from a technical point of view if we’re talking a prerendered PS1 cutscene, not that it’s what he was going for.

Why should I know?

I don’t care about the retro tech it’s referencing, it looks aesthetically hideous. The character models are dollar-store-doll ugly, the textures are overly contrasty and oversaturated, everything has a plasticky sheen on it and the lack of lighting makes it hard to pick out foreground and background. It’s visually very, very cluttered.

8 Likes

Hrm? Slip?

If it is supposed to look like all of the characters are straining to hold back a mouthful of vomit, then mission accomplished. If not, then I apparently do not care for this game’s chosen visual aesthetic.

4 Likes

I’m disappointed in boing boing for having so many gamer gators in the bbs. ugh. it’s like finding your basement full of sewage.

11 Likes

Breaking News: Criticizing Women at all is Now Institutional Misogyny!

I’ve expressed this concern before, but the signal to noise ratio on boing boing has really gone crazy, and as much as I thouroughly enjoy 40% of the content here, this 20% of the content is amazingly awful.
Even Corey’s been sucked into this pandering zeitgeist.

PS: some PS1 games do look better than what I’ve seen of this game.

2 Likes

Good thing you guys are here to put Ms. Wu in her place.

Anything less would be moral tyranny.

it is difficult to mock something that is already really stupid

17 Likes

personally i think she wasted way too much breath replying to this guy instead of just ignoring him.

8 Likes

Did you think the lady protested too much?

1 Like