I would lay down money that your wife is not systemically allergic to honey bee stings. Approximately 20% of the population claims they are dangerously allergic to honey bee stings. Only about .4% are, and many of those are still over-diagnosed. You can be labeled by an allergist "allergic to stinging insects" yet not be in any danger (it's kinda like saying you are allergic to poison ivy -- most all of us react, sometimes significantly -- but we are not in danger). Additionally, even if you are dangerously allergic to one stinging insect, you are unlikely to be allergic to all stinging insects. I.e., just like you may have an allergy to cats, that doesn't mean you are allergic to all furry mammals.
The vast majority of people carrying around epipens in fear of stinging insects are doing it needlessly. Allergists over-diagnose this particular sensitivity. Ignorance has us mis-diagnosing a swollen arm and calling that "OMG! DANGEROUS". Nope... that's normal.
Sorry... #petpeeve. Great article!