Building the prefab Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World

[Permalink]

This seems like a good place to post this Disney and Florida related bit:

Does anyone know where to get those orange shaped plastic sippy cups with the straw–the only ones I can find with my Google Fu is the ones with the “Orange Bird” on them, they used to sell them unadorned with cartoon cartoon characters at most Florida hospitality interstate stops.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/06/03/snack-series-orange-bird-souvenir-cup-at-sunshine-tree-terrace/

It looks like some sort of Strangelovian 1950s RADAR

1 Like

the first time my family went to WDW, we stayed at the contemporary. I remember standing outside our room and watching the monorails come through… good times. I didn’t realize that all of the rooms were prefabbed and just slotted into place, but that makes it even cooler.

Walt Disney Resorts: slowly redefining “contemporary” to mean “beige and disco” since 1979.

1 Like

The Contemporary screamed THE FUTURE! to me when I was a kid. The notion of a freaking MONORAIL was cool enough, but a FREAKING MONORAIL that slid smoothly through a building that may as well be a GODDAMN SPACE STATION was so cool as to be painful.

Now, we lament how much corporate marketing foofarah gets shoved down kids’ throats nowadays, but really, it wasn’t that different when I was a kid growing up in the late 60s / early 70s. Disney had its own hour-long TV show on Sunday nights. It usually hosted a serialized movie, but a fair amount of the time it showed a program-length commercial for some Disney part attraction or another.

There was also a Disney magazine distributed at GULF gas stations, back when gas stations gave stuff away to attract your business.

2 Likes

I have an Orange Bird one, but I got it at the Sunshine Terrace. No idea where you would get one “unadorned”…

The Contemporary is cool from a technical standpoint, but, imho, the Polynesian is the far better choice for an “on the monorail” place to stay, especially if you have kids. Plus, pretty adult beverages with umbrellas!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.