Children of Abraham: tell us what you believe atheists believe

More like don’t placate the poor bastard next door who’s complaining about your dog talking to him by just nodding and smiling and saying you’ll have a stern word with Sam. Instead it’s probably better to see if you can get him in contact with mental health providers, before he kills a bunch of people, and blames the dog’s powers of persuasion.

1 Like

From Watch Bill Nye read mean Tweets about himself

Plenty of examples showing what a lot of religious people “think” (for lack of a better word) atheists believe. Mostly they like to either just project their own fears onto us, or they’re generally too ignorant to have any valid opinion of us. Of course this is cherry picked for maximum comedy, but I can honestly say I’ve met people who, when I’ve told them I’m a “baby-eating atheist” turn pale and silent until I assure them that I don’t actually eat babies and that it’s a joke.

2 Likes

I think that’s the most promising avenue - there’s no way most people will be convinced by reason alone, as we often don’t come to conclusions or continue to believe things based on reason and logic in the first place. On the other hand, moving the Overton window may mean that people either come to question their whole system or follow it in a way that makes a lot of the problematic elements irrelevant - consistency be damned.

2 Likes

So much this.

My brother, while I don’t know his complete medical prognosis, is schizophrenic, bipolar, and has dozens of visual and auditory hallucinations per day.

My mother, who thought she was doing the right thing (against his doctors wishes) went with his hallucinations. Like they were a game of make believe a child would play. He is 39. Good intentions? Yes. Abso-fucking-lutely the wrong thing to do? I will leave that as an exercise to the reader.

Best thing to ever happen was after years of waiting, a section 8 apartment. He isn’t ‘fixed’, but he much more clearly understands when he is sick and when he isn’t. (I should pop over and see him, even though he will be blaring Sublime :smile:)

4 Likes

I just want to point out that I only eat organically fed free-range babies.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 571 days. New replies are no longer allowed.