CIA torturers forced hummus, raisins, pasta and nuts into detainees' anuses

Some talking heads are already saying the report is an apologist letter to the terrorists and puts our troops at risk… You know what puts them at risk? Sending them to other countries to fight wars against a largely imaginary enemy for the benefit of a few large corporations.

rectal feeding, without documented medical necessity.

I want to see reports on rectal feeding that had a documented medical necessity. That’s a straight up Southpark gag right there.

1 Like

What a waste of hummus.

Oh, the money should come out of the CIA’s budget…with the obvious consequence.

It used to be an actual, working technique. Now superseded.

1 Like

I don’t think Stasi ever did anything that weird.

Well, it said it was initially their dinner, so presumably it was either some effort to be sensitive to their likes and dislikes (by the people in charge of making meal decisions, who still have a soul), or it was a matter of practicality (they were being fed the food that was most available, if it happened in a middle eastern country).

If oligarchy is government by the rich, what would government by sociopaths be called?

I suggest “democracy”. Including the quotes.

De more crazy

The Stasi did keep preserved clothing of various targets , in case they wanted to prime scent dogs. I wouldn’t be that surprised if they had experimented with inventive forms of torture.

Actually the Stasi was more sophisticated. They quickly realized that physical coercion methods are inefficient - so they switched to psychological means:

1 Like

plutocracy is government by the rich
oligarchy is simply government by a few. Elite has connotations of aristocracy, and the oligarchs need not be the “best”

Naturally, adhering too closely to such definitions can close the universe of discourse.

AFAIK that actually works.

Also revealed? Because the legal definition of shoving something up someone’s anus without consent is “sexual assault”.

1 Like

I suggest Deimocracy, after Deimos, the personification of Terror and offspring of Ares (disliked by Greeks, liked by Rome (which only exports excrement) ara = “bane;” violent din of battle), and Aphrodite, who holds Nike as an accoutrement.

Deimocracy’s father Ares is spurred on by Eris, which is macroscopic and microscopic Envy, the “green eyed monster.” In the micro, Eris spurs commerce by excitation of the slothful, in the macro, Eris, spurs the din of battle. Zeus is the architect of the war, but the din of battle is loathsome. It is bane, it is ruin. America had Envy of the zeal of the Umma. Now America has Envy of the attention paid to Isis, so we have the double flag of Boing Boing to turn to.

2 Likes

There is precedent, though it’s not the good kind of precedent.

Laurie Penny on the suffragettes: Emily Wilding Davison made the only choice she could bear

Some historians mention that Davison had been reckless with her safety on other occasions as evidence that she was “merely” suicidal, arguing that she desired to die under any circumstances and that this somehow invalidates her decision to do so in public while waving the banner of women’s suffrage. Davison certainly had form for doing outrageous things in the name of women’s liberation. She was arrested nine times – for arson, for public nuisance and for throwing stones at the prime minister’s carriage.

During her imprisonment, when she and other activists were being force-fed – a process that was agonising and degrading and sometimes involved anal rape with metal tubes – she threw herself down an iron staircase in protest. In retaliation for her refusal to co-operate, the guards put a hosepipe into her cell and slowly filled it with water until she almost drowned.

Try to imagine, just for a second, what that must have been like. How long must it have taken for the cell to fill with freezing water, closing around your ankles, your knees, then your chest, your impractical skirts first buoying you up and then dragging you down? How long would it take until the choking, numbing water did not drown your nightmares every time you tried to sleep? What might it mean, under such circumstances, to be crazy, to be consumed with rage, to have a death wish?

3 Likes

Just leaving this bit from Faux News here:

In case the video gets pulled: http://news.yahoo.com/fox-news-host-torture-report-235001597.html

2 Likes

I am reminded of Colonel Flag from MASH and how ridiculous he seemed at the time. You couldn’t use that character now and be funny.

1 Like

You can - and it will be an order of magnitude more funny. Humor has its ways.