Conductive cosmetics to control mobile devices

[Permalink]

How very useful.

While it is easy to dismiss this because… cosmetics. It is actually an interesting jumping off point for where wearable computing might be headed. Why strap a computer to your body if it could be embedded on your fingernails allowing every touch to interact with smart objects all around us?

Holds a lot of promise. Don’t want to wear sparkly blue eyeshadow? Fine. But I know some doctor’s who’d be willing to smear a dab of a neutral colored shade onto their eyelid before surgery so they can control an X-ray viewing program with eye blinks and headtracking while performing surgery - without breaking scrub.

1 Like

I was wondering when they’d finally update the Petticoat 5…

1 Like

Because it would allow every touch to set off not-smart-enough-not-to-go-haywire objects all around us?

1 Like

Just encode some kind of id code for the system you need to be associated with into the cosmetic implanted electronics.

It is not too hard to imagine that such a interface might have a simple means to enter and exit an interactive mode not unlike how the iPhone had the slide bar and now has the fingerprint swipe.

Well I guess phase 1 of our gay agenda is now apparent…

2 Likes

And that would do what, exactly, to address the problem?

As someone who cannot use touchscreens without them going haywire, and had to install a patch to disable touchpad tapping to use a laptop without it going haywire, I’m concerned that what may work well for you may work/fail disasterously for many people like me. I’m concerned that technologies which were more accessible, to more people, for a time will become inaccessible again.

Wait, what? Why do tablets go crazy when you touch them?

I don’t know. Maybe because I’m clumsy? Maybe because half the time they don’t detect my fingers when I’m pressing on them and maybe maybe because half the time they detect something when my hand passes within an inch of them?

That’s interesting, I’ve never heard of anyone who had hand and finger detection issues on a modern tablet with a capacitive touchscreen. So an iPad, for example, goes haywire when you try to touch it? Or doesn’t respond at all?

It sounds to me like the touchscreen needs to be recalibrated.

I don’t know. I have no end of trouble with touchpads, and use software patches to disable half their ‘features,’ and tried one of those Nook touchscreens in store, and it went haywire. I don’t know if these were capacitive or not.

Wow! That is really strange. I have never heard of such a thing but I can see why you would be concerned. Just out of curiosity, how do they go haywire? I am imagining the whole screen image distorting when your finger gets close.

No screen issues, just touchpad-type issues. If I try to press one spot/button, for example, they may not read that at all, or they may read it as pressing another spot/button. I haven’t tried them long enough to know whether if I pass my hand near them without trying to press anything, they will sometimes read that as pressing one or another spot/button. I know that is an issue with touchpads though.

Have you been electrified recently???

Capacitive touch screen just means that the sensors are embedded into the touch panel itself. The other option is that there are tiny cameras in the corners of the frame of the panel that figure out where your finger is by triangulation. I used to work with touch screens - the ones with the cameras are really cool because if you rig it up right you can make it respond to a super light touch or even a touch just above the surface. Magical. Actually, it was a PITA to use it but it looked very VERY futuristic.

Anyway - it’s really odd that touchpanels are responding that way to you; they can be kind of hinky if they aren’t cleaned but just to go whackshit when you barely touch them is odd.