Conservative Christian anti-gay TV star Josh Duggar on charges he sexually molested children: ‘I acted inexcusably'

Well, demanding submissive and compliant women along with strict gender roles alongside covering up a string of rapes is definitely a important part of rape culture, but perhaps the latter is not illegal in their State and it sounded as if the implication was more direct action from the eldest Duggar.

2 Likes

Really? That’s kind of a shitty way to think of a woman.

2 Likes

As far as I know, they are all theirs. They are part of the Quiverfull movement, which argues that Christians need to make as many children as possible to build a christian army. They are just the most obvious and public example of that ideology.

Have you ever been in charge of a 15 year old? Because I’m not sure that’s correct. My own spawn is not quite there, but I already see how she’s asserting herself in new ways. I do know that she already has a very strong moral sense of right and wrong at this age.

At the very least, he should have gotten real help - not just a church shaming and a slap on the wrist. He needed counseling and needed to be told that he did something wrong, not because it endangered his immortal soul, but because he caused damage to his vicitms.

I agree, but they are not blank slates - they already have pretty well-formed personalities at that point. While they might be still forming as individuals, that doesn’t mean that they aren’t also capable to working through complex moral ideas on some level. I agree we can’t treat teens as adults. Despite their limitations, I’m fully convinced that kids that age can make some moral distinctions, if they are treated with respect and dignity by those around them. The point isn’t that they are going to get shit right at 15, but that they are given the space and freedom to figure it out for themselves, given some strong guidance from the adults in their lives.

That’s amazingly spot-on. Imagining women as mere vessels for the production of more Christians is deeply perverse.

Is it really just “nature”? Do you not think that nurture can also help to foster a twisted view of sexuality? It could be either or both, perhaps.

3 Likes

And to think just a few days ago there was a bit of a digression about “mandatory reporting laws” getting in the way of preventative therapy for pedophilia. It would be a much more clear cut case if “Jim Bob” had a legal rather than a moral duty to report the incident, but as far as I know, he’s not named as having such a duty in the Arkansas statutes.

1 Like

You have explained my meaning better than I could!

1 Like

Here are the mandated reporter categories in Arkansas relevant to this case:

•Teachers (I presume this includes homeschooling teachers, right?);

•Any clergy member, which includes ministers, priests, rabbis, accredited Christian Science practitioners, or other similar functionaries of a religious organization (except to the extent that the clergy member has acquired knowledge of the suspected child maltreatment through communication required to be kept confidential pursuant to the religious discipline of the relevant denomination or faith)…they’re not Catholic, so that shouldn’t apply

the hslda works hard to make sure that this presumption is questionable at best.

2 Likes

Any small thing that 18 people come out of is a clown car. She, like all animals are made of meat.

Thanks for showing me again, that there are overreactive fools on the internet.

They’re also instrumental in keeping the U.S. from signing the U.N. Declaration on the Rights of the Child, for the same reason: they don’t want anyone to come between themselves and the children they are abusing.

1 Like

I’m sure the Pauls are at the forefront of that. It hits all their Bircherboner talking points.

1 Like

She’s a human being in an abuse situation, actually. [ETA] While childbirth is a natural process, it’s also a naturally dangerous process.

Here is the basics of their faith.

Compassion isn’t a terrible thing, you know.

1 Like

Thats why I did state there are nature/nurture factors for all of this.

To what one person commented on about the father being a predator? Do we have any evidence of that? Having 19 kids with your spouse is not in fact a sign of being a predator in my book. Maybe I am missing some other information about the dad in this instance.

I don’t know about the Dad being a sexual predator… I’m not sure who made that comment? @chgoliz or @marilove perhaps?

I just went back and read that so I guess I missed it the first time - so my apologies. But yeah, I’m not sure we know exactly what the root causes of such things. The doctrine that makes women completely subservient and sexualized objects as well as the root cause of sexual temptation doesn’t help.They are raised to think that men can do no wrong and that women are nothing more than sexual objects/temptresses, with no agency of their own. Does that surprise anyone that this happens? I do think their values are quite twisted and anti-woman. It’s way beyond the argument that women who do stay home and raise a family are just as worthy of respect/support/work just as hard as women who work outside of the home (the discussion about women who do both - myself included - is probably yet another discussion we can have that is tangentially related to all that). But their ideology goes way beyond that mindset of elevating women who stay at home as their “career” (something I think can indeed be a feminist project of treating all women with respect and dignity). They are imagining women as completely there for the use of men (albeit within a legitimizing framework of religious faith and marriage vows), with no other legitimate role in society than to serve men and birth children. They seriously feel that half the population is there to act as a conduit for “their” children, to serve men only, and are not worthy of having a voice or life of their own outside of men, and it is borderline if not outright abusive, and there is something seriously fucked with that.

5 Likes

In retrospect, I should have used a different term to indicate the overall sexual perversity of the belief system without getting mixed up in the legal definition of that particular term, but then @Mindysan33 remarked on the aspect I was meaning only a few posts later, and I acknowledged that she had got my meaning correctly, so I didn’t do any further explaining after that.

Has the father been arrested for sexual abuse? Not as far as I know. (Neither has the son.) Does the father have a perverse understanding about sex and women and has even created his own church to teach those perverse sexual ideas to his children and keep them within his control for life? Yup. He is a type of predator, and sex is very much one of the weapons he uses when he preys on people.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.