DC cops caught infiltrating peaceful, lawful protest groups

Ok, a couple points.
You are correct about the “complete sentence” thing, and it was a poor choice of words on my part. You might want to grant people a little leniency in their meaning. For example, I regularly grant people are going to a refer to their computer as a cpu, and not all of them are morons. People specialize in different things and some don’t use these terms on a day in and day out. I’ll tell you what… I’ll try harder for you in the future :wink:
Second, as a general statement, I stand by my assessment of the police. I’m sorry it was too absolute for you. I do still think that from the stand point of someone in that position it’s better to be safe then sorry. It isn’t a game to just let exceptions fly like the wind, and that is the slope that it starts down. Let’s look at how absolute the statement was as another rhetorical device, not an end all be all rule.
Third, the article glossed over the 60 minutes segment, and it’s worth watching. Regardless, my point was the police have more up their sleeves than most give them credit for.
The rest… I’ll grant you. Have a great day. Nice talking with you Mr. Petersen.

She can still infiltrate organizations for face-blind people.

1 Like

Indeed.

One of the organizers, union leader Dave Coles, explained that one reason protesters knew the men’s true identities was because they were wearing the same boots as other police officers.

Well, hell. I’m sorry for poking at you about the grammar. Normally I would refrain from being a dick about it, but it just seemed to me that you might have been unnecessarily stiff toward Scooter about his quote, so I felt moved to stick my tongue out. Not very mature of me.

And I think it really needed to be said, that point of yours that protesters really can’t afford to assume that all cops are dopes and nothing more than hired goons who like to pepperspray the defenseless and murder those who attempt to fight back. It’s true that the job might not offer the kinds of challenges and rewards that would normally attract the sorts of people who end up working as rocket scientists, hedge-fund managers, philanthropists, preschool teachers, journalists, or community organizers, but that doesn’t mean that there are absolutely no smart and sensitive humanitarians wearing blue these days, nor does it imply that all (or even most) cops are complete nincompoops. Trouble is, along with the institutional expertise and training we all too often hear about institutional racism and brutality, and many of us have enough firsthand exposure to these kinds of incidents to keep us from dismissing them out of hand as small, isolated problems.

Still, your overall point cannot be overstated: none of us can afford to blithely turn our backs on the cops.

1 Like

And what exactly is wrong with beer, bikes and breasts? It seems your problem with “Missy” isn’t her unwarranted undercover work.

Well, at least they’re not doing what the FBI does–paying civilians to infiltrate mosques and convince the psychologically vulnerable to plan unfeasible terrorist attacks so the FBI can foil them and claim credit.

3 Likes

Wait, what?

Well, they won’t do that now that they’ve been found out before they could get to it. We really don’t know what their agenda was in infiltrating, and it may have included trying to find vulnerable members of the group to lure into illegal acts.

Getting a group of peaceful activists to do something violent-looking isn’t the only way to disrupt them. Getting them to do things that are ineffective and unsuccessful so nobody’s having enough fun to stick around works. And getting them to argue with each other instead of solving problems works fine (so Agent Split Infinitive in the comments above could be doing a fine job as an infiltrator.)

2 Likes

You may be technically right, but is that what I expect from police? Not really. I generally expect them to instigate actions that will require a police response to justify themselves. The goal of the police agents isn’t to break up the protest group, it is to facilitate a crackdown on the protest group. I’m pretty sure that protesters argue amongst themselves without outside help.

This … this made me laugh. A+

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.