Delhi police lost password for complaints portal in 2006, haven't checked it since

[Permalink]

1 Like

either too slow or incompetent

Why pick one?

9 Likes

They tried calling tech support but they got some idiot in the US speaking with a fake Indian accent.

18 Likes

In absence of a standardized HTTP error code in the 400 range for ‘Fuck not given’, I’ll go with “Error 417: Expectation failed.”

Definitely one of the client error codes, though.

3 Likes

This is one time they should have used the name of a pet and a birth date.

2 Likes

It sounds as if the portal should simply have served up the .gif below.

3 Likes

Hell, they entirely forgot to add “corrupt” to the list.

4 Likes

I wonder how much of an issue this is in America? I’d assume that most police department websites are run by competent, forward-thinking people who have a deep and abiding love for the communities they serve, so they’d be extra-super-duper invested in getting those complaints and serving up the fixit-juice when necessary. Right?
/snark
I would expect most of said departments to have policies in place for checking those submission boxes (or whatever iteration they come in), but I don’t know anyone working in police IT, ‘cept for that red-haired woman on TV, but all she seems to do is hack folks’ email accounts and cut through security like a hot knife through butter.

Depending on size(ie. New York’s ghastly experiment in building an entire national security state, in minature, probably has a lot of in house expertise, Podunk County Sheriff’s Office and Bait Shack, less so); but I’d actually suspect reasonably high levels of IT access by US police forces, whether shared with the municipality, in-house, or contract:

Computerized dispatch and information fusion systems don’t exactly maintain themselves (nor do those laptops you see in all the squad cars), evidence storage and acquisition, and interaction with the legal system aren’t getting any more papery as time goes on, basically all institutions over a certain size are genetically disposed to suffer a mailserver and payroll system, etc.

Obviously if they wish to sit on or bury your tedious little ‘input’, they will come up with something; but basic amounts of IT competence (and/or embittered cynics who know the workarounds for lack of it) is something so increasingly inescapable in the operation of operations larger than your stereotypical lemonade stand that it probably wouldn’t make a particularly good excuse.

It also wouldn’t help that police departments are usually appendages of some other state entity that probably also has IT types (even a relatively small town probably can’t escape them, and you don’t get much larger before a GIS person and other substantially more specialized, now IT-ified, functions come online.) and can be bombarded with angry messages if the police email is mysteriously broken all the time because reasons.

It sounds like the guys in Delhi had gotten lazy, and used to ‘losing’ paper records, rather than developing a Duly Triple-Officialized-And-Legally-Approved mechanism for accepting, processing, and ignoring incoming complaints.

1 Like
In 2006, a portal monitored by the CVC was created, putting the complaints it sent to departments online. Each department could access the portal with a password. Complaints regarding the Delhi Police were also sent to the portal. Every year, the CVC holds meetings with government departments to take stock of the complaints with them. Sources said that since 2006, the CVC had got no feedback on complaints pending with the police.
Sounds like it wasn't just the Delhi PD who dropped the ball on this. The CVC utterly failed in its oversight of the DPD, too. If the review board asks every year, but receives no answer, or a non-answer, for eight years in a row, well, is this the right time for a Watchmen quote? Edit: I tend to be pretty solid in figuring out news ledes and sports, but this one from the linked site has me entirely baffled: "After spin show, India seal dead rubber". There's a picture of cricketers playing, but...wtf?

The DP is a really strange case.

Usually in India, law enforcement is a State subject; ie, the states control the police forces, apart from a few agencies like the CBI which are controlled by the Centre. Even then, those agencies literally need state permission to come in and do anything which is not explicitly covered by a Central law (income tax for example).

In Delhi, it’s reversed. Constitutionally, the Delhi Police are controlled by the Union Home Ministry through the Lt. Governor of the Union Territory. This is because Delhi is a high security zone and it was felt that it needed more central oversight to protect politicians’ backsides. But this also means that the elected government of Delhi itself has no power to compel the cops in any way. Successive state governments have called for a change, including the most recent taking the form of the Chief Minister sitting in protest near the Home Ministry just before Republic Day (long, entertaining story there). But even if the same party is in power in the Centre, this never happens.

The result is that the cops are notoriously unresponsive - they are diligent in dealing with politicians’ and senior bureaucrats’ security, but barely even pretend to pay lip service to general policing. They really have no incentive to serve the people of Delhi - even beyond the ordinary cops of any other place, because the people who control them are not really answerable to the residents of the place they police.

1 Like

Spin is a form of bowling in cricket - generally an Indian specialty. The bowler sets the ball spinning, so that when it hits the ground and bounces back up, it can turn in one or other direction. Often, to a direction the batsman is not expecting. They’re slower balls, but really tricky ones to play.

“Dead rubber” is a general sporting term (that I hadn’t heard before) - a match that cannot change the outcome of the tournament (because it won’t affect the standings). In this match - a game in the Asian Cup 2014, India was already out, but they had another scheduled match, so they let the reserve players stretch their legs…

1 Like

So presumably their complaints stats are incredibly good! Gold stars all round - no indication that the populace is unhappy with us!

Anyone there heard of a password reset? Anyone? Hullo?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.