Democrat moves to impeach Biden — a brilliant gotcha moment that stuns MAGA into silence (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/20/democrat-moves-to-impeach-biden-a-brilliant-gotcha-moment-that-stuns-maga-into-silence-video.html

29 Likes

Exactly.
It gives them the appearance of Doing Something, and keeps their names in the news. They can always blame their failures on the Swamp and the Woke Media.

36 Likes

Just like the eternal immigrant “invasion” “crisis” at the southern border

28 Likes

That IS half of politics. But this is even more egregious than normal. :confused:

12 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but from half way around the world, it looks to me like the main thing in this “impeachment” is “you guys impeached our guy, so now we get to impeach your guy, so there!”

40 Likes

You might think that, but Dems had good reasons, Repubs got nothing. The latter insist nonetheless on doing it just to smear Dem preznits, on the basis of whatever pretenses they can drum up, like when they went after Clinton for lying about sexy times with an intern.

26 Likes

I specifically meant this time around - trying to impeach Biden. Trump’s impeachments were obviously legit - especially the second one.

22 Likes

Well, you know, we’ve always been at war with (checks notes) Eurasia.

You’re missing some of the finer points. We’ve only had three presidents impeached total (and four total impeachments, of course) while there have been formal calls to impeach others. In most cases this means there’s actual evidence of wrongdoing that justifies an impeachment inquiry.

Unfortunately in the last several decades, Republicans have started understanding “impeachment” to mean “we don’t like this president” instead of “this president has done something sufficiently outside the bounds of the office to warrant censure.”

32 Likes

Unfortunately it’s impossible to truly burst the bubble that the mass of MAGAs live in.

19 Likes

He should have added “because this president is not a multiple-indictment criminal grifter with a long history of shady behavior. This is a president with a lifetime of actual documented public service behind him.”

21 Likes

Question: If the Democrats manage to take control of both houses next term can they impeach Trump a third time? Whether he wins or loses?

I see this as a real possibility because it appears that almost all the GOPs money is going to be spent on his legal defenses.

6 Likes

Well…that’s the message they’re sending to their base. Most of them aren’t stupid. They know Trump was impeached for perfectly valid reasons. But they want their base to think it’s all just political fuckery on both sides. So…they’re trying to imply that they want to impeach Biden on made up bullshit (even though they’re pretending they think it’s legit), in the hopes that their base will believe the impeachment of Trump was also based on made up bullshit. And frankly, it’s working. Maybe working too well, because their base seems to actually believe they have some evidence of wrongdoing on the part of Biden, when they clearly don’t.

24 Likes

Yep. They had a chance to actually Do Something, but Lord Dampnut said no…

Well, there’s appearance, with the intent of Doing Something.
This is appearance without that intent.

Reminds me of Soviet-ers show trials, without the consequences for the victims.
These perps just want to preen for the cameras & tweets.
Besides, the intended audience consists of just one person.

14 Likes

What were the good reasons the Dems had (the first time)?

After all the hearings, they impeached Trump with “abuse of power”. Not actually a breach of the law, because he didn’t break any laws. Which is awkward as the standard is “High Crimes and Misdemeanors” not “being a dick”.

The second was for “obstruction of Congress” for not turning over documents - kinda like Biden keeps doing with this investigation.

I agree that there is nothing to impeach Biden with. The disgusting influence peddling his son and brother perpetrated is not illegal unless you can prove that Joe was part of it - which would be hard to do without hearings.

And no, to date, they haven’t found any proof. The “10% for the Big Guy” could just as easily be Hunter stealing from his erstwhile partners as it is hiding money for Dad. Either way - it stinks. But Hunter isn’t president.

1 Like

Maybe if we’re really lucky, they’ll start digging up corpses to stand trial, like they did with Pope Formosus. Or maybe just execute the corpse, like they did with Oliver Cromwell.

5 Likes

I’d think we’d be better off by impeaching Kavanaugh and Thomas for starters and perhaps increase the number of justices.

13 Likes

PREVIOUSLY ON BOING BOING

24 Likes

Jesus. I’ve been waiting my whole freaking life for Dems to start fighting back. We’ve come a long way since Willie Horton and Iraq War votes.

12 Likes

Sorry, I don’t mean to pronounce on guilt or innocence, let’s try this: The articles of impeachment do not allege that he had broken any laws.

1 Like

Insurrection is legal?

19 Likes