Diary of a Sex Tourist, a photo essay

[Read the post]

Oh snap, treating human beings like humans?! What a radical idea!

Not that it should be, just that, you know, the idea that a woman has agency over her own sexual behavior is shocking to a lot of the moralizers up in here.

16 Likes

Yep. Legalize it.

Was it here or somewhere else that I read about an online forum on the West Coast that allowed prostitutes and Johns to find each other, vet each other, and actually increased their wages, increased safety (black listing bad clients), kept it less out of the open (less time on a corner), and allowed networking.

Till the cops shut it down.

12 Likes

When you know you’re in the right, you know that all the wrong you have to do in order to be right is worth it.

11 Likes

Whoa, well said!

5 Likes

Yea, I dunno, wouldn’t any dictator agree? Or somebody like Manson?

1 Like

Wasn’t this article already covered (and more eloquently) by Soul Asylum in 1992?

Like statutory 8 hour work days, 40 hour weeks, and overtime; the minimum wage for sex work should be set pretty high.
Most workers now are engaging in low wage and risky survival sex especially after having been ‘spoiled’ by some cultural definition.
I am against prohibition and the dangerous black market abuses that creates, but the legal market should fairly comp for the massive invasion and comoditization of a persons body to be consumed like rented meat over their worth as skilled employee even if skill is involved.
The invasion and risk should be recognized as greater than working a checkout till, holding a sign, mowing a lawn, or stacking milk bottles and more in line with a CEO, physician, lawyer, deep sea welder, or jumbo jet pilot per hour worked.

1 Like

Also, Zina-Marina:

2 Likes

This sounds like a rather misanthropic conception of sexuality, and rather asymmetrical. How is it any more of a commoditization of their body than any other work they do with their body? Why should it be assumed that it is not also a social service as well as a physical one? And that degree of skill may not also be a factor, just as with any other kind of work? And how/why should it be assumed as being any more “invasive” for the worker than the person who hires their service? And since most people engage in sexual activity outside of their employment, might these not be risks that the average person undertakes on their own anyway?

There isn’t anything that bother me more about people’s attitudes with regards to sex than the pervasive notion that it cannot naturally be participation of two (or more!) equals. The same people who complain about exploitation are often the same ones who deny either party agency!

3 Likes

Bernie will sort it.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.