Dig into hard ice cream with this pointed-tip scoop

[Permalink]

In profile it looks like a tool to stab people who take your ice cream.

7 Likes

If your ice cream is too hard to scoop easily, you should probably just turn your freezer down a bit. Ice cream can be soft at temperatures that still keep everything nicely frozen. It’ll save you a bit on your electric bill, too.

Some how this seems relevant, but then it is Friday…

4 Likes

I have this same scoop, and it’s the best consumer grade scoop I’ve ever used. I’m bothered by your “dig into hard ice cream” heading, though. If that’s what you’re doing, you’re doing it wrong (I spent some time working behind the counter at Baskin-Robbins in my youth). You don’t “dig”. Ever. First run the scoop under very hot water. Then you scrape along the surface of the ice cream, slicing down into it maybe a half an inch. The shape of the scoop will naturally cause the ice cream to curl around and roll into a ball. After releasing each ball of ice cream, be sure to run the dipper under hot water again. That’s the trick to getting it release. And work fast. If the metal scooper gets too cold, it won’t want to release. If your ice cream doesn’t form into a ball, your scoop sucks. Throw it away. The OXO forms balls very well.

I also have a Baskin-Robbins commercial grade ice cream spade, that is used for hand-packing ice cream. After I’m about a third into a tub, and the surface is concave from scooping out from the middle, I repack it with the spade. I do it again at the 2/3rds level. Repacking makes scooping a lot easier, and it reduces the surface area of the ice cream, which prevents ice crystals from forming.

7 Likes

The colder the ice cream gets, the slower the Ostwald ripening gets and the longer it will stay without becoming gritty.

What about embedding an electric heater into the scoop?

1 Like

Why not a laser?

1 Like

Too large area to heat, no special requirements for energy delivery rate, problems with the optics, low efficiency. Induction heating, maybe, if for this or that reason we don’t want to go resistive. Or perhaps microwaves.

Soft ice cream has always struck me as rather pointless. It’s just going to turn into sugar milk that much faster. I get that some people enjoy it, but I’ve never been one of them. I like firm sundaes and chunky malts, and floats are best when ice cream is still cold enough to form a thin shell of frozen coke or Big Red around each scoop.

I avoid ice cream scoops and just use a nice, relatively sharp spoon. I may have to give this a try. Or give serious consideration to how I would built an ice cream auger.

1 Like

Man, if you can keep a tub of ice cream uneaten for more than a few days in any state, I don’t know what to tell you. :smiley:

4 Likes

A solid steel spade is the only way to go when it comes to rock-hard ice creams.

1 Like

there was a Kickstarter ice cream scoop last year that is now in production (but pricey), called the Midnight Scoop.
As a funder, I received one and the design is such that you use the heal of your hand to push the scoop rather than using your wrist as you typically would with a straight scoop. It feels pretty wonderful in your hand b/c of the ergonomic design.

2 Likes

This is a fantastic ice-cream scoop if only because it’s solid stainless steel. Every other scoop I had up to getting this one was chromed and would peel after a month or so, and no one wants extra chrome flakes in their ice-cream.

2 Likes

Because you end up with soupy ice cream.

BTW, the OXO they’re showing in the video, is not the one being discussed here.

Looks perfect for poking holes in the ice cream container to let the frost in.

It’s the protective layer of ice.

I’m in like limbo again, so here is a :+1: for you instead.

I didn’t know Lelo made ice cream scoops.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.