Disney to rid Star Wars canon of spinoff books' "expanded universe"

How many films are in your Alien box set?

2 Likes

Two. Two movies and two coasters.

Iā€™m kidding of course, it was cheaper to just get Alien and Aliens.

1 Like

Wish I had seen that before. Episode one is totally a waste and I can see how doing it in that order would really be pretty good. (though it was quite some time between when my son saw 4,5,6 and when he saw 1,2,3). Perhaps the next kid will get machete order. Heā€™ll be old enough in a year or two.

Yupā€¦ really wish Iā€™d heard of Machete order a few months earlier.

ā€¦and a ukulele.

1 Like

No.[quote=ā€œMister44, post:70, topic:19205ā€]
I dunno - I liked the idea of the ysalamiri.
[/quote]

Same here. The idea is that it was a sloth-like creature that lived on a planet where predatory creatures like the vornskrs used the Force to find their prey.

I mean, itā€™s kinda goofy, but if thatā€™s someoneā€™s biggest problem with the plausibility of Star Warsā€¦

1 Like

Hogwash! The force is ā€œan energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together.ā€

Anti-force bubbles created by space lizards feelsā€¦well, forced.

If one can harness the force, why canā€™t one use it to cancel itself out?

Iā€™ve read just about every EU novel set after ROTJ and I canā€™t say thereā€™s any part of it that Iā€™ve actually HATED. Some have been more entertaining than others, but I donā€™t recall ever not being able to finish one because it was too horrible. But as far as Iā€™ve ever been concerned, all I was expecting from ANY of the EU books was fluffy space opera set in the SW universe. Thereā€™s far better sci fi out there, but Iā€™m not disappointed that I spent so much time reading all those EU books. I enjoyed every single one of them. Hell, I enjoyed every single one of the prequel movies too, the first time around (and enjoyed them even more watching the Red Letter Media reviews of them). I am VERY easy to please, when it comes to mainstream entertainment. And I plan on letting my kids watch the prequel movies too - thereā€™s some damn entertaining moments in those films (and it can be a bonding thing to snark about them as they get older, too).

As for Disney de-canonifying the current EU? That doesnā€™t bother me too much. A reboot of the EU canon has the potential to be pretty darn interesting too.

1 Like

And for what he did to Jules Verne. Captain Nemo was execrable and inexcusable.

In 2010 I read all of the extant Star Wars novels, some 300+, back to back in the expanded universe date order. It took about 6 months. My mind was expanded and enjoyment was a lot more than the movies. I shall resurrect there! Some books were bad or trivial, sure, but a lot were great Space Opera. I intend to repeat the process some day.

I knew Disney would fuck up Star Wars, like most things since Walt died. Curses on you George!

Walt Disney died in 1966. Are you actually trying to say that nothing Disney has done since 1966 has been any good? Iā€™m afraid I disagree quite firmly on that point. Hell, Frozen and Tangled are two of my favourite animated movies to come out in recent years.

For the record I would watch Disneyā€™s ā€œHell, Frozenā€ ALL THE TIME. The same goes for ā€œFrozen and Tangledā€

2 Likes

Frozen and Tangled is just 2 hours of one of the guys from Deadliest Catch trying to fix one of his nets. Itā€™s pretty boring.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.