DIY inventor creates sand-powered animatronic figures

[Permalink]

1 Like

Very cool. I like em, I also hope he comes up with some design that are less uncanny and do things that are less like a baby hitting a pot with a spoon.

It would be a cool idea for Christmas displays or beach attractions.

Oh those guys are wonderful, and not creepy in the least. Why do internet people think it’s cool to declare things “terrifying” when they’re perfectly pedestrian? And his little poem in the beginning - I kept expecting it to be awful, but he really delivered it. 10/10.

6 Likes

I think they can be both, but creepy is a bit subjective.
For me, the spasmodic movements, the off-kilter blinking and the slowly flapping jaws combined neatly with the dissonant nursery music to remind me of a few dozen bad horror movies. But terrifying? Not even close.

And damned clever, too. There’s not much sand going in, so whatever mechanisms are inside are really well balanced.

Yep. Totally owned his material. Great stuff.

2 Likes

Getting a Spitting Image feel from a couple of those.

This guy would make an awesome imagineer :thumbsup:

edit: A sand powered jackhammer-jill would totally be possible (and simple) with this technique…!

2 Likes

Here’s the creepy part: that is not sand, it is ashes that convey the dearly departed’s spirit into the figure. There is no clever mechanism – it is just spirit energy.

8 Likes

This guy’s creations totally remind me of an elderly man who went to my church when I was a kid - he was a former science teacher and had a house full of board games, train sets, specimens in jars, and all kinds of oddities he’d made while tinkering.

1 Like

The Cure have really let themselves go.

8 Likes

Sand-activated, but gravity-powered automata.

1 Like

Yup. I found them a bit creepy as well. The sort of twitching eyelids that made me think “neurological problem” etc…

But, I wouldn’t mind sitting with Delroy for some time and talking to him simply to hear his wonderful voice!

3 Likes

In ten or so years I can see this being a kinetic science kit for kids to build. Mine would totally be into this.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.