Don't brush your teeth -- do oil-pulling instead

Obligatory Futurama:

Hey, I remember you. I was gonna vote for you one time. But voting isn’t cool so I stayed home alone and got trashed on Listerine.

4 Likes

Right? Ya gotta cup the balls. . .

1 Like

Tried it with olive oil, mouth was so full of saliva after ten minutes I had to spit it out. Teeth feel fine, I guess I don’t have to floss because it removed a lot of food particles from dinner, and my mouth is ridiculously tired. I will probably stick with brushing.

…Or there’s the really old fashioned method of physically disrupting the biofilm in a weak detergent solution that’s generally recommended by pretty much every dentist ever (i.e. the brush with toothpaste method…)

3 Likes

How do you get anything done in the day with all this nonsense?

3 Likes

You’re probably visualizing putting a large spoon of Mazola into your mouth.
It’s with coconut oil, so it’s definitely not as bad as you think it is.
And you spit it out at the end, then rinse with salted water.

Gives me the opportunity to post my favorite parody of that song: http://youtu.be/7ZWaWrvJ7nA

“Drink Listerine
brush my teeth with amphetamines
so I can sound fresh
and say dope things in-between”
– Ras Kass

2 Likes

Primary use for castor oil is used to induce defecation.
But, should you wait around a while? Childbirth with also induce defecation, without all the triglycerides.

Ricin is made from its seeds. So, there’s that.

2 Likes

Your perceived inefficiency is because you are unaware of how fluoride works.

From Wikipedia:

Fluoride’s effects depend on the total daily intake of fluoride from all sources. About 70–90% of ingested fluoride is absorbed into the blood, where it distributes throughout the body. In infants 80–90% of absorbed fluoride is retained, with the rest excreted, mostly via urine; in adults about 60% is retained. About 99% of retained fluoride is stored in bone, teeth, and other calcium-rich areas. Drinking water is typically the largest source of fluoride.

And, in case you still thought that this was pointless since you are putting fluoride toothpaste directly on your teeth…

In many industrialized countries swallowed toothpaste is the main source of fluoride exposure in unfluoridated communities.

5 Likes

[devil’s advocate] This is a stretch, but on the whitening front, I suppose it is possible that some tooth-staining compounds might be fat-soluble? Tea stains would be from tannin, which is water-soluble, but maybe smoking related stains (or something else) would dissolve in oil? [/devil’s advocate]

yeah, like i said: it would be stupid to not brush and do this instead.

however, brushing is also not enough. you should floss (or waterpik) also.

in my experience, swishing vigorously (with whatever you want) is like a crappy version of flossing, in that it dislodges particles from pockets and interdental spaces, which brushing isn’t very good at.

i’m unaware of studies strongly supporting this, since they usually compare medicated mouthwash to a control; some studies do, however, mention that the control (placebo) washes did have a significant positive effect on some measures of gum health.

based on all this, i’m going to stick to my claim: so-called “oil-pulling” is not entirely useless, though proper flossing would be better, but 20 minutes is unnecessarily long. also the difference between using oil and water is probably negligible, and ethanol solution or listerine would probably be better than either.

Thanks!… I think…

If ten years of academia hasn’t killed it yet, I doubt anything will.

Right-on GilbertWham.

In my view, the only reason to spit out wine, say at a tasting – is when you’re being held accountable for accuracy in your tasting notes and have a lot of wine to evaluate.

Getting tipsy is fun, but it can dull one’s ability to detect nuances between the wines you’re tasting and can interfere with taking notes. Similarly, if you’re taking a tour and are the one doing the driving or on a bicycle tour and have a lot of places to hit - well, you know. But if you’re not being held to some sort of standard and you’re not the one who is driving - spitting out everything you taste is just silly – and if you know better & still spit everything out – than Paddlin’ is indicated.

Anyway…I find that when I’m drinking my usual daily wine - usually red - - when not around polite company - swishing with it is seems to get out a lot of crap that just water doesn’t seem to reach…I mean, why not? – if I’m drinking it anyway.

Plus, I’ve read some research (too lazy to find the reference right now) that indicates that while simply swallowing red wine does not allow you to absorb a lot of the resveratrol 'cause a lot is destroyed by the digestive tract- & there’s not a lot in wine anyway - swishing it around in the mouth a while seems to allow you to absorb many, times more (surprisingly more) resveratrol…however, the bioavailabilty of even that absorbed through the lining of the mouth has mixed research results.

Well - suffice to say - let’s try to discourage those whom we care about from spitting and if they persist in doing it, administer some tough love.

I couldn’t get an urgent dental appointment until the next morning once, and the only thing that got me through an otherwise hellish night was a dozen boxes of whipped cream bulbs I’d bought for a forthcoming rave and codeine .

[quote=“Celli, post:58, topic:20876”]
(4) In an era where millions more americans have health insurance than a month ago, they are often still without dental insurance. So if there’s anything that is inexpensive and can prevent thousands of dollars of bills with a dentist, I’m all for it.
[/quote]You mean like Fluoride in the water?

Well, in your defense, if you are still asking questions instead of insisting you absolutely know? You’re doing ok, in my book.

2 Likes

I tried that with Cointreau once. It kinda hurt to eat anything the next day.

1 Like

Are you driving trollies?

Because, really, you’ve got to be driving trollies.

Oh dear god tell me you’re driving trollies right now.

THERE IS NO WAY YOU ARE NOT driving trollies RIGHT HERE.

Right, but, you’re driving trollies because this is ingenious. trolley! trolley! I want to believe you are a trolley!

Oy vey.

7 Likes

Right, it’s useless based on that the efforts are pseudoscientific as compared to the superior methods. But, being health hipsters that they are, they’d rather do something that freaks out others and makes their lives difficult rather than do the efficient, proven techniques.