Drunk 18 year old girl rushed to hospital from Canadian PM Stephen Harper's residence

holy crap man, it’s not about the kids, it’s about where they drank it and who their father is and that in Canada they are not adults in terms of the legal drinking age. purchasing it ‘legally,’ in Kuala Lumpur or Quebec, and re-entering Ontario and drinking it still makes it illegal. if they drank in Ontario it’s illegal. again, I drank before the age, so do most kids. but the fucking Prime Minister’s kid, drinking under-age in the official residence? again, what if she died of alcohol poisoning? would the parents not sue the state? would there not be an outcry? you’re in denial of obvious facts. and yet for what reason, i cannot follow
ps ALL CAPS HELP THOSE TOO SLOW ON THE UPTAKE.

Harper’s not the head of state. The Queen or her representative The Governor General is.

The Canadian media is generally very hands-off when it comes to politicians personal lives and especially their families. Harper did run on a family values platform, so covering it as an example of hypocrisy seems fair. But there’s no need to go all CNN on it and rent a party simulator.

1 Like

Underage drinking at 18 years old is about as serious a crime as minor speeding (actually less serious, IMO, at least in theory you’re putting other drivers at risk if you’re speeding). I’m sorry, yes it’s technically illegal (as is speeding), but it is so trivial a crime that unless you are a complete prude, nobody takes it very seriously. Would it be ok if they were doing it somewhere other than 24 Sussex drive? And what if they were 19, or even 25, and somebody still got alcohol poisoning (as happens quite often)? Would that make it any better?

I fucking hate Stephen Harper and his policies, but even as a “family values”/hypocrisy issue? I honestly see it as a non-event. If they were 13 or 14, yeah, in that case you should be at least moderately supervising your kids and what they’re up to. But 18 year old adults? Nope, that’s past the age when parental supervision is required at a birthday party. See also: GW Bush’s daughter getting busted drinking at college at age 19. It’s a non event - the government considers you fit to make decisions like “Who should run this country” and “I’m willing to die for my country by joining the armed forces”, but unfit to responsibly drink a beer? Now THAT is hypocrisy.

3 Likes

Just want to point out (not that I disagree, I think a public apology to the family, without naming names, would be an entirely appropriate and responsible course of action in any case, and that it was somewhat irresponsible for him to have allowed it to get that far, assuming he was there) that buying booze in Quebec and walking it over the border is technically illegal, because it’s illegal to bring alcohol into another province. It’s a crime exactly nobody gives a single shit about, because caring would be beyond silly.

Buying drinks legally in Quebec and then drinking them in Ontario, on the other hand, is not a criminal act (except import-wise). In Canada, drug laws in general do not prosecute someone consuming a substance, regardless of age or substance. Providing the substance, or in the case of fully controlled substances, possessing with intent to sell (it’s a bit weird) is the criminal act. Presumably nothing illegal happened here, besides someone going on the actual beer run. Unless they were 19 or over when they did in which case throw them in jail, the sodden criminals.

Edit: It’s actually only illegal to import for sale. So there really was no crime here. Unless whoever doing the beer run was over 19. That’s really silly.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.