DuckDuckGo search engine traffic increase 600% since Snowden revelations

[Read the post]

If I were the NSA, I would be totally mining data from DuckDuckGo.

I haven’t been able to cut the google cord yet, but I have started using chrome just for a gmail login and firefox for everything else.

And how much traffic has Google lost? Like, 0.00000000001%

Been using DDG as my desktop and mobile search for months and have zero complaints. Totally dig their philosophy!

How would using DDG be different?

That’s why you need the BoingBoing VPN!

2 Likes

and one more! slowly cutting the google out

For a little idea as to the scale, the best statistics i could find are from 2012, Google had a total of a little over 1.2 trillion searches in 2012, that equates to about 3.3 billion per day. DuckDuckGo is growing but, its still very far from being a competitor.

I love DDG. Been using them for a long time. However, I think it’s worth pointing out that DDG is run on Amazon AWS servers. I am now going to don my tinfoil hat and show what this implies:

DDG is run on Amazon servers. Amazon landed a $600 million contract with the CIA to build a datacenter (“cloud”) that serves the entire US Intelligence Community. This CIA cloud is physically separate from the AWS servers that everyone else uses, but in the age of malware that infects air-gapped computers, that doesn’t really mean anything, does it? No one is safe, we’re all doomed, FUD, FUD, FUD. I am now removing my tinfoil hat.

2 Likes

Wait…600% over 2 years? That doesn’t sound like much for a startup that needs massive numbers of users in order to make any revenue. They need to be growing at 6000% to be getting any real market share.

Don’t get me wrong, I use DDG for all my searches on all my devices and love it (especially the shortcuts like !gi and !w).

I never even heard of DuckDuckGo until a few days ago. I feel so out of the loop.

I use DuckDuckGo and love it.

I started using it when I got involved with the Android platform and learned how much data Google is collecting from it - enough that they can afford to give away an operating system. Free as long as you turn over all the data on how you use it! And it’s not possible to disable their data collection.

I also use DDG as my default and I love it. There are so many nice touches that you notice after using it for a while and whilst I still use Google occasionally for a few things I’m not planning on going back.

So many shortcuts I need to learn! I already have Firefox set up so “w searchterm” searches Wikipedia but there’s way more DDG can do. I didn’t know about !gi

1 Like

To be fair, Apple added it as a search option http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/16/duckduckgo-growth-ios/

Even goatse would get a 600% boost in traffic just by being included in OSX.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.