Deal: VPN Unlimited: Lifetime Subscription - 70% Off

[Read the post]

This is potentially a good deal, but does VPN Unlimited keep logs? If so, for how long? That’s the real question you want to know the answer to if you’re looking at a VPN to protect your identity/privacy. I couldn’t find the answer anywhere on their FAQ page or elsewhere.

2 Likes

See here. The info should still be current. It uses OpenVPN, from what’s I’ve googled - I couldn’t find it on their website.

Me, I wish I didn’t have to create a ‘bb deals’ account… Why not as a guest? Sigh.

Can someone explain to me the business model being used here? I don’t understand how a single payment can cover a “lifetime” of bandwidth. Are they not expecting to be in business for very long?

1 Like

They’d tell you but then they’d have to … oh never mind.

2 Likes

Some answers here. According to them, they only log the amount of data, not the content or source. They also filter BT traffic and certainly imply that they’ll throttle/ban you for excessive torrenting.

It’s worth noting that they are a US company and are subject to US law enforcement. If the NSA went in and demanded they log everything, hand the logs over daily, and issued a secret gag order about it, they’d be forced to say exactly what they’re saying now. No company with US assets can be trusted completely.

2 Likes

Probably they’re betting on the technology becoming cheap faster than the money runs out. Remember those people who offered you a full megabyte of storage back in 1990?

I’d say this falls solidly into the “too good to be true” category.

2 Likes

It keeps logs. Also it does not allow BitTorrent traffic. Which is why I really regret buying this VPN a few weeks ago.

1 Like

probably run by a subdivision of one of the alphabet soup agencies (CIA/FBI/MOSSAD/NSA/etc) and you can bet if the company is not monitoring the data, they are either compromised via hardware or software to allow monitoring by outside entities

Question: Is this paid content? Cause it sure looks like it. I mean, I like the idea, but as others have noted, the US base of the company and their business model are suspect up-front. I’d say more information is in order.

1 Like

Spotted this in Bruce Schneier’s blog:

Much more interesting is the other vulnerability that the researchers
found:

Millions of HTTPS, SSH, and VPN servers all use the same prime
 numbers for Diffie-Hellman key exchange. Practitioners believed
 this was safe as long as new key exchange messages were
 generated for every connection. However, the first step in the
 number field sieve -- the most efficient algorithm for breaking
 a Diffie-Hellman connection -- is dependent only on this prime.
 After this first step, an attacker can quickly break individual
 connections.

The researchers believe the NSA has been using this attack:

We carried out this computation against the most common 512-bit
 prime used for TLS and demonstrate that the Logjam attack can
 be used to downgrade connections to 80% of TLS servers
 supporting DHE_EXPORT. We further estimate that an
 academic team can break a 768-bit prime and that a nation-state
 can break a 1024-bit prime. Breaking the single, most common
 1024-bit prime used by web servers would allow passive
 eavesdropping on connections to 18% of the Top 1 Million HTTPS
 domains. A second prime would allow passive decryption of
 connections to 66% of VPN servers and 26% of SSH servers. A
 close reading of published NSA leaks shows that the agency's
 attacks on VPNs are consistent with having achieved such a
 break.

The DH precomputation easily lends itself to custom ASIC design, and is
something that pipelines easily. Using Bitcoin mining hardware as a
rough comparison, this means a couple orders of magnitude speedup.

So, are these guys on the ball, or not? How would we know, as users of the service?

I don’t understand, why does it say “VPN work with torrents or P2” under the “Specs” section of the product information?

Do they filter/threaten ban over torrent traffic? The product page says “VPN work with torrents or P2” under the “Specs” tab.

Based in the USA. Hahahaha no.

Side note - I’ve noticed that American VPN companies almost uniformly do not use (or outright deride) warrant canaries, so there’s a better than average chance that they’ve been served NSLs already.

I can’t speak to the technical merits or price point, but this was advertised here a few months ago, and by and large BB commenters were having none of it.

It even provoked a “caveat emptor and yeah we sell stuff” update from Mark Frauenfelder in the original post.

2 Likes

I’ll trust this VPN service about as far as I can throw it. And I have a really hard time grabbing and throwing the concept of fraud.

2 Likes

YES! This is the question, because if they have no logs, you’re NOT at the mercy of the ‘spooks’ when they come calling. Actually, this ‘lifetime’ deal sounds suspicious, like it might even BE the FEDS setting this up.

For REAL VPN info, go here:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.