Eccentric axe uses physics to make splitting firewood easier

Yep there are lots of places where people starve rather than making basic improvements to technology. In Africa they use the grub hoe with a three foot handle, requiring the user (generally women) to contort their bodies.

Instead of massively improving efficiency with a five foot handle

Give that guy a big chunk of sweet gum wood!

Itā€™s main use is for veneers and inlays because it never splits.

Iā€™d like to see that test run again but with a couple changes.

1. Replace that Fisher-Price toy splitter with a real one.
  2. Do it all day.

One of my neighbors has a log splitter, and one thing that impressed me about the design was that it required both hands to move the wedge forward. There was a button to spin up the motor, and a lever on the other side of the machine to engage the clutch. A single person operating it cannot get his hands crushed. Also, most people are pretty careful with their hands when using a log splitter, because itā€™s so obviously a danger. Itā€™s the ordinary things that tend to cause the most injuries, like spinning belts or subtly unbalanced loads.

Thatā€™s nice, but the Stickler has already been invented.

http://www.thestickler.com/

You donā€™t even have to go exotic. Growing up I split a lot of logs from our yard, mostly scrub pine. Scrub pine is so goddamn awful to split, there are knots everywhere and the grain likes to stick together so even when you do split it the logs stay held together with strands.

I always used the wedge/back of the maul technique on those logs, because they would take multiple impact to split (and would snap back together if you pulled the maul out before it was completely split), so you left the wedge in there as a way of saving your work between swings.

I wish I had thought of this tire technique for splitting poplar though, that wood hand a tendency to fly apart in both directions when hit with an axe. I loved splitting it (relatively speaking), you could do a whole tree in an afternoon.

2 Likes

The machines that can yank you in are the worst. A branch going into a wood chipperā€¦ lathes. ā€¦ grain augers.

Google (grain auger trauma )
http://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/face/Reports/REPORT-016.html

The thing about a splitting maul is that itā€™s so freaking heavy. I had oneā€™s head detach while swinging back, arching neatly past my own headā€¦ thatā€™s an image that stays with you.

3 Likes

Iā€™m wondering if you could take a regular axe, and give it an offset weight just with a clamp or something.

Such a simple change to such a simple design. Imagine if this had been implemented thousands of years ago, when firewood gathering was much more of a basic, primary concern How might civilization have developed differently?

1 Like

Thank you!

The very last split in that vid leads me to believe my inference of an internal pivot mechanism is mistaken, but thatā€™s still mostly a guess.

Did I just watch someone chopping wood for 7 1/2 minutes?

2 Likes

My friends always thought that my approach to splitting wood was a bit eccentricā€¦

8 Likes

My Dad told me to always twist the blade when it hits to stop the axe head getting stuck. Itā€™s nifty to see this motion turned into the default behaviour of the axe!

1 Like

Wow. He actually reinvented the wheel.

2 Likes

I like it! Take a dreary, physical task and jazz it up with some LARP-esque moves.

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, I think that the guy was doing a Thor moveā€¦ Asgardian wood splitting?

1 Like

Thatā€™s the Assassinā€™s Creed Technique, right?

One word: dynamite.

1 Like

If your time is worth that much, you can have a full rick delivered.