Behold the multi-ax

[Read the post]

4 Likes

I doubt it would work decently as an ax, particularly the $550 titanium model. The head is simply too light.

I also wonder whether the clamps would really hold adequately for more then very light use.

9 Likes

No, not that one. A proper one.

4 Likes

Agreed, and it comes with ‘everything’ except a cover.

But then again, it’s probably not necessary, 'cuz titanium, from everything I’ve read on it just now, doesn’t really hold an edge.

1 Like

That’s why you need to weld on some other alloy on that part.

No Bluetooth? FAIL!

16 Likes

I’d imagine the forces on the two thin pieces of metal near the ax shaft would snap this thing in half, assuming someone is silly enough to actually use this $550 multi-tool for its intended purpose.

5 Likes

Only in Useless MultiTool World would “lanyard hole” count as one of ten “tools”.

21 Likes

Camp axes. hachets, and tomahawks, especially those for backpacking all tend to be made with pretty light weight heads. And while you’re right they make terrible substitutes for full size axes they all tend to work pretty well for what they’re meant for. Cutting brush, splitting small logs and kindling, hucking at trees, and general utility cutting. They operate more on raw sharpness than weight, unlike regular axes.

But this thing is still pretty goofy. The integrated “ulu blade” would appear to just be the regular cutting face. That side projecting attachment for the handle is going to interfere with your general axin’. Titanium isn’t so great for cutting implements. And all those cutouts are probably not going to work out too well with something that’s meant to be smacked into things as hard as one can. I mean that little carbiner clip near the top is going to be gone pretty quick. It also lacks the sort of hammer head at the back end that makes these sorts of things particularly useful.

4 Likes

Another multitool whose best function is the redistribution of wealth. I’m not going to complain.

8 Likes

The handle clips would get obliterated on the first swing into a decent, hard piece of maple. Very silly invention.

1 Like

I’m sure this will be sold to multiple tools.

13 Likes

something like this if better though out, able to saw it’s own slot into a branch, and around $25 ~might~ be useful for a survival emergency kit…but it would have to be a lot better made and cheaper.

Also, this is at best a hatchet, not even remotely an axe. Which is another indicator it is made by someone who uses neither. my hatchets/tomahawks/axes/mauls are prize possessions, i’d only mess around with something inferior like this as a last resort, like in a survival kit where weight was a key issue.

Edit: found a much better one in a few seconds of googling and it is only $30 and can saw its own slot…so thank you google…pretty much matched my wishlist/requirements first search!

4 Likes

Also, who the hell would want to carry an axe dangling on a lanyard?

2 Likes

I’ve done lots of trekking and backpacking and never once felt the need for an axe. Just what is it that needs chopping? It seems to be a North American thing to carry these things.

1 Like

Given that carabiners are generally used for ropes, climbing equipment etc, rather than having a sharp blade dangling near some rope that may move unpredictably I think I’d buy an extra carabiner & an axe that I don’t need to self assemble if I’m splashing over $500 around on outdoors gear.

I live in a wood-heated cabin for a few weeks every year. We need an ax to split logs into stove-sized pieces.

I would not use this “multi-ax” unless you paid me a few thousand dollars.

3 Likes

Not an axe, but this is what I use. An old rail road stake. The metal is soft as butter, but the means while it will lose an edge in a jiffy, it will take an edge in a jiffy.

For substantial applications I find chain saws or sawzalls better.

5 Likes

For a second there, I thought that was a bayonet.

I used to have a dozen bayonets. But using them as can openers and tent stakes over the years has left me with no bayonets anymore.

I ought to go to the army surplus store, but I fear for my savings account if I do. I know I won’t be able to resist buying the $1,600 Korean War era officer’s uniform, as well as the $50 deer ass taxidermied to look like a yeti head.

5 Likes

I would also have to question the practicality of trying to use this as a wrench with multiple sharp edges nearby. Your options for grabbing on and applying torque are limited, and options for slicing your hand open are maximized. Seems like a thing more for the tool collector than tool user.

2 Likes