My Zippo axe is a multi-tool

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/24/my-zippo-axe-is-a-multi-tool.html

3 Likes

Typo corrected. Thanks.

2 Likes

Zippo axe that doesn’t double as a lighter? For shame. It’s all about synergy.

10 Likes

With all the different axes you’ve promoted, do you have room for anything else in your campervan?

5 Likes

I have do not remember reviewing another axe. Seamus has. His is expensive and all handcrafted.

3 Likes

there is nothing funny about my Zippo Axe.

I guess you don’t understand my sense of humor. :frowning:

6 Likes

“Hitchhikers don’t dismember themselves!”

5 Likes

Sir I assure you I was most certainly not making fun of your very fine axe and now if you’ll excuse me I just realized I have an appointment elsewhere.

axe

3 Likes

I’m partial to Fiskars axes, but this looks pretty cool. Additional saw is nice. I use the Fiskars maul, but it stays with my sauna. Ax is probably better for camping.

2 Likes

Nope, this is way too fussy! The guy on the video demonstrating the product seems confused by it and looks like he hasn’t used it a bit! If he has, maybe this is a crappy “do it all” tool that people should stay far away from. The “tent stake puller” really made me laugh, as it is really just a no value-added dongle that already exists on every hatchet. This strikes me as some kind of fantasy tool. Photos on the Zippo website show the tool being used for sawing or hacking at wood of a size that no walking packer would need to use. If you are backpacking, go light. If you are canoeing, car camping, just hauling your gear for a short distance on foot, or need to do some real work, it just works much better to have dedicated separate tools that each do their job well, the bit of extra weight be damned!

1 Like

I have an old Gerber hatchet with a saw inside the haft. The saw blade was made by Fiskars. It‘s done well for me for over 20 years of cutting camp wood and splitting pelvis (for field dressing deer).

3 Likes

Heck yeah, that sounds handy. It looks like you can get the Gerber Gator hatchet/saw for around $40 on Amazon. I wonder how their steel holds up with the current model. 20 years ago I don’t think it was as much of a concern, but a lot of supposedly stainless steel rusts like cast iron these days. I wouldn’t think Gerber would have that issue, though.

Are we talking useful multi-tools ?

I have found that my fencing tool has been useful repeatedly.

edit: i see them called fencing pliers, too.

2 Likes

I kinda like the idea of integrating the saw with the axe sheath - that’s clever!

But I am Olde Skoole, as y’all know.

4 Likes

zippo

6 Likes

If walking, carry a stove, I’m sayin’.

Since I used a sugoi saw, I’ve never even thought about gong back to another hand saw, because this is in a totally different league than any normal bucksaw or folding saw:
http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws/Curved_2/Sugoi-360mm-Handsaw-1373

1 Like

I don’t know where I would be today without my multitude of multitools.

If I had one of these it would probably stay in it’s case so I could pretend it was a blaster.

Pew pew pew!
400_SUGOI-390-36-7

2 Likes

Questions you don’t want to have to ask your Uber driver…

1 Like