EFF asks for the right to revive abandoned online games

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Would be awesome.

1 Like

Oh, Glitch. I had forgotten all about you. Now I’m sad.

5 Likes

Yeah, really scary how a lot of communities for games are sustained in legal limbo. Some of them are quite impressive reverse-engineering projects as well. I’m thinking in particular of Forged Alliance Forever, which is a lobby, matchmaking service, patch client, mod repository, proxy sever and replay locker all in one for Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. Been playing 7 years and I’m still obsessed with that game…

Yeah, I has the sadz too. Rob had to use that image, too, didn’t he?

The thing about Glitch was it was so much better as an art piece than a game. The mechanics were high-friction and high-slope, which I think is why it failed, but it was so goddamned beautiful.

6 Likes

Glitch is already on the way back, though. Check out:

http://childrenofur.com/

and

http://elevengiants.com/

They don’t need to wait for EFF because Tiny Speck (now Slack Technologies) has given their blessing.

2 Likes

I’ve heard about projects to revive online play for Wii games (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, etc.) on third-party servers. Last I heard they hadn’t gotten far, but I’m glad people are working on it.

I was surprised mainly because of the color scheme in light of certain recent online “jokes” and female gaming character design. One might mistakenly infer the wrong thing…

3 Likes

Abandonware in general getting some kind of legal status would be pretty darn nifty.

2 Likes

I hadn’t forgotten but definitely felt all the feels seeing that image. Sigh.

1 Like

Give me a third party server with City of Heroes on it and nobody gets hurt!

1 Like

I’d settle for Auto Assault.

Is very cool, but I’m a little sad that gaming gets more interest than asking for the ability to hack your own car.

For an extra 30hp and a 10% reduction in fuel consumption I was happy to pay someone to re-flash the Engine Management Unit, but it would be great to have the tools to do it made more legally and widely available so we could DIY …

2 Likes

City of Heroes is a weird one because Paragon, the studio that was actually working on the continued development of the game, offered to buy/license it from NCSoft, for what I understand was a pretty reasonable amount of money. NCSoft rejected the offer - deciding to shut the game down rather than make any more money off of it. Presumably they had some reason other than spite, making a revival unlikely.

Yeah, it was a bummer NCSoft decided that.

There was a fan effort to setup a server runnning a hacked version of the game, but I’m not sure much came of that. :frowning:

Attempting to reverse-engineer the servers are a mixed bag. Best case scenario you end up with something that’s not the original game (just the original client). There’s also some fan effort now that went from being an attempt to do a crowd-funded CoH-alike MMO (with no budget… good luck, guys) that has now blended into some fan effort to license the IP/software from NCSoft. They claim to be in negotiations, but I’m skeptical. If Paragon couldn’t get any traction, I’m not sure how some non-game developers with no funds to speak of are going to do any better.

If you know of software that can safely provide higher power and better efficiency to that degree in existing production vehicles, there are plenty of OEMs that would pay quite a lot of money for it. That’s probably the easiest, cheapest way for meet a few years’ worth of rising CAFE standards I’ve ever heard. If it’s true.

My engine management remap is probably a special case. The engine platform was shared across 3 manufacturers and multiple models with the example in my vehicle being particularly detuned as standard.

And further to this point, presumably as time goes on engine management software will improve. For most vehicles you probably won’t find new software that makes them 10% more energy efficient the moment you drive them off the lot, but when they are ten years old, the odds that new software could improve them seem pretty reasonable.

The guy who remapped my car apparently does a roaring trade doing the same thing to new tractors in Australia, so there are gains to be made there. I think engine and vehicle manufacturers deliberately “underclock” in the same way that CPU/GPU manufacturers do, in order to differentiate different models in the line while saving cost by basing it all on the same hardware.

1 Like