Elon Musk's email to an employee who missed work event to witness birth of own child

[Permalink]

2 Likes

God forbid someone find a way through life that doesn’t revolve around work.

hashtag CWAA

15 Likes

Christ, what an asshole

19 Likes

Just because we no longer celebrate bloodthirsty conquerors anymore (well…) doesn’t mean we don’t still put sociopaths on a pedestal and treat them as the superhuman model we should all follow. Worship of unfettered markets and a system of human worth based on economic productivity leave us all to be morally judged against the standard created by people like this.

15 Likes

Disappointing.

I would have expected this from Richard Stallman. It’s all about your focus, or balance (or lack thereof).

2 Likes

Elon Musk: Your child’s birth doesn’t matter. Now get in here and help me give birth to my new technological brainchild.

Yep, that’s pretty sick.

Edit: However, clicking through to the article, it’s pretty weak on corroboration. I wonder if it’s accurate…

10 Likes

No shortage of ass~holes, apparently…

1 Like

To put it another way we worship wealth as an accomplishment without stopping to consider the costs at which it was acquired.

14 Likes

Could it have been something tongue-in-cheek taken out of context?

2 Likes

He needs to watch this:

5 Likes

It takes all kinds in this world - even the kind of person who would work for someone like Musk.

2 Likes

One comment made couple years ago, who knows what milestone on what project was under way, and now it is making another tempest so big that it makes the neighbouring teapots rattle with the echoes of the clickstorm.

The Internet has memory. Anything you say today can and will be used to make an outrage tomorrow.

1 Like

I just scrolled down far enough to see the headline, all I could think was “Please don’t be a dick, please don’t be a dick.”

Oh well.

8 Likes

It’s always a strange surprise to find that highly-driven billionaires are so mean to their staff!

It is?

5 Likes

This reminds me of the time in high school when a friend of mine was blasted by the band directors for failing to tell them he wouldn’t be at practice one afternoon because he was attending his grandmother’s funeral. He was subjected to a lengthy diatribe about responsibility and priorities before one of them finally screamed, “NOW GET OUT OF OUR OFFICE.”

That’s just a reminder that being an asshole of such magnitude is no guarantee of material success.

15 Likes

It is an unfortunate facet of human nature that, much of the time, alpha males drive the huge changes in the world. These include wars and other horrors as well as revolutions in business and industry. It sucks big time, but surprising it is not.

2 Likes

That friend of yours got off easy, you should see the letter they wrote to the grandmother.

18 Likes

I suppose it’s possible. Such a thing has been known to happen. At the same time, we all are aware of how much of a jerk Steve Jobs was (and used to the sociopathic behavior of corporate types in general), which kind of primes us to believe that it was not in fact a joke. Combine that with the workaholic culture promoted by many US companies and the comment becomes serious until proven joking.

3 Likes

“It’s always a strange surprise to find that highly-driven billionaires are so mean to their staff!”

Really? Is it tho?

1 Like

Please don’t tell me you and djshiva need smiley faces to determine when something is sarcastic.

Because that was obviously sarcastic.

6 Likes