Eron Gjoni, unrepentant jerk

It’s being debunked in my exploding head right now !

This is a masquerade dress up party of imaginary social justice The social justice he is concerned about is social currency for the aggressor and abuser who is playing the victim. From the Gjoni smear essay he can tell that Gjoni is the “real” victim while ignoring the actual abuse the Gjoni is demonstrating and broadcasting, as some sort of call to arms about his ex as a person. A call to arms that is full of complete lies ! Why would he bother to fact check or verify this account ? I mean, the Huffington Post talked to him - he’s some sort of real journalist who doesn’t need to fact check ! He can just tell what is true !

Is that author the new Hugo Schwyzer ? I mean he is happy to cite all the credible mainstream media that has shone their spotlight on him, personally, the “social justice activist”, and he has all the bases covered with regards to trigger warnings and inclusive terminology. That’s a nice sheep costume you’ve got on there, Mr. Wolf…

Beyond vile.

7 Likes

Gjoni deliberately, systematically, posted his screed in the forums that he knew would trigger the harassment based on the previous behaviour aimed at Quinn when she published Depression Quest.

Quinn’s behaviour in her private life, and Gjoni’s for that matter, have little bearing. Neither of them deserve harassment for a messy break-up (you hear that @antdude? :P). Gjoni’s choice to publicly name and shame Quinn, to throw chum into the water, and to then continue to communicate with the people who were harassing Quinn shows that he is an unrepentant jerk. Period.

No matter what Philip Wythe thinks. He calls Quinn “an emotional abuser” and paints Gjoni as the poor victim in all of this. And that is bullshit. Gjoni is being called on his behaviour - he was a jerk he’s getting called a jerk.

And the victim? I’ve yet to see him sent fleeing from his home due to death and rape threats.

He’s a jerk.

10 Likes

Seems to me that article proceeds from the assumption that Gjoni’s description of Zoë Quinn’s actions was accurate. I’ve not seen any solid evidence that that’s the case. If you know of some, perhaps you could post links? I don’t really want to try to debunk it until I see it bunked first.

8 Likes

The rottenest thing is that as far as I can tell Zoe Quinn did NOT post some 7000 word pathology report about her relationship with that turd. Even if she had - and her account was 100 % verifiable with emails, voice recordings and credible witnesses - she would have been smeared as being “hysterical” “emotional” “irrational”“unstable”"scorned"and/or “attention seeking”. These are all dismissive terms that get stuck on women who speak out about a relationship where they have been treated unfairly or even outright abused or assaulted.

10 Likes

Most amazingly, this is what the notes about the author, Philip Wythe say:

“Philip Wythe is a non-binary transgender intersectional feminist activist and freelance writer. After editing for the Rutgers University lifestyle magazine TRIM Magazine, and University literary publication The Anthologist, Philip began vocally supporting intersectional feminist activism across Rutgers publications. They first hit international attention after writing “Trigger warnings needed in classroom,” a trigger warning activist piece which was later cited in New Republic, The Guardian, and the New York Times for challenging contemporary disability accommodations in academia. They have also done interviews with the BBC World Service, HuffPost LIVE, and the Chronicle of Higher Education regarding their activist work, and continue to advocate for trigger warnings today. Philip uses they/their pronouns.”

This person uses the term “feminist” to describe themself(see, I’m respecting you Philip !). WTF ?!

3 Likes

Quite honestly, I don’t know where to begin-- a lot of links to it on 8chan, though. I figured some feminists had already teased out the WTF from this piece.

hell if I know-- but the 8chan people sure like it. It seems like a really manipulative article, and frankly I don’t know whether, or even how to take it seriously.

2 Likes

over at one of the political blogs i read, lawyers, guns, & money, one of the bloggers put a post that summarizes #gg (i think he’s actually a little too flattering to the #gg folks but anyway . . .). it didn’t take long for one of the defenders of bile, misogyny, and the gamer way to find the posting. see here-- http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2014/10/gamergate-primer-sly/comment-page-1#comment-1314340 the author goes by the screen name thetimtimes and he references his blog. pretty funny stuff.

1 Like

The WTF is strong enough to tease my hair !

2 Likes

It is debunked by the simple fact that it is based on one perspective of a complex story. I could write a long detailed account of how you, @jerwin, are a piece of shit. I could describe, in excruciating detail, the color, odor, and size of your shitness. However, my saying you are a piece of shit, even if I post my claim on the internet, does not make it so. Just as Eron Gjoni’s claim that Zoё Quinn is a piece of shit does not make it so.

2 Likes

Srsly? Glad I’m a very fast reader. This person is building sand castles on clouds by claiming to be able to decipher all that from the screed posted by the subject of this BB thread.

Why would it need debunking?

2 Likes

And in at least one of the articles, he says he wrote his screed in a way he hoped would be appealing to the audiences he went looking for, rather than just looking like a 9000-word obsessive ex-boyfriend rant that would be ignored. So yeah, he was manipulating a bunch of trolls into jumping on a bandwagon of misogynistic attacks.

7 Likes

“Zoe Quinn fucked five guys in seven months while telling him how honest
she was. Three while she was in a relationship with him. One was her
married boss. I don’t think any of the mainstream anti-gamer gate
publications want to mention these facts from this screed nor take them
on.”

I also dislike that some people dismiss cheating as if it doesn’t matter. Cheating sucks. I would hate it if someone cheated on me. Here’s the thing, though, cheating is quite common and if everyone who cheated received the same level of attention as Zoe Quinn the internet would DDOS itself. Funny that only when it’s a chick in the games industry does cheating get this level of attention. And if people are going to excoriate cheaters, shouldn’t dudes suffer this treatment more frequently since males cheat twice as often as females?: “The National Health and Social Life Survey found that 4% of married men, 16% of cohabiting men, and 37% of dating men engaged in acts of sexual infidelity compared to 1% of married women, 8% of cohabiting women, and 17% of women in dating relationships.”

Lalasz, C. B., & Weigel, D. J. (2011). Understanding the relationship between gender and extradyadic relations: The mediating role of sensation seeking on intentions to engage in sexual infidelity. Personality and Individual Differences, 50(7), 1079-1083.

Once again, I find it hard not to think there’s an element of misogyny at the core of this.

9 Likes

I started reading “the post” this weekend, but couldn’t get more than 1/3 of the way through.

I felt dirty and creepy, and just couldn’t stomach it.

At some point he whined about his ex-girlfriends revealing something to “a carefully vetted group of, by her estimate, roughly 200 friends or so.” Given his efforts to hit-up a far larger number, I can’t give credence to anything he writes, much less a number.

At this point, I wouldn’t believe that he had 10 toes if he told me himself and refused to take off his socks (and even then I’d google for “prosthetic digits” afterward).

5 Likes

The accuracy or otherwise of Gjoni’s screed is not really something I want to know about. I don’t care to demand proof or disproof from either party, because what level of evidence would be adequate for that? Quinn’s private life is her own, none of my business, and, really, nothing to do with the level of opprobrium Gjoni has unleashed upon her.

Bad things happen in a bad break-up; trying to trace every little cause and effect would be an exercise only in frustration.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.