FBI opened a file on George Carlin for telling "bad taste" Hoover jokes

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2015/08/13/fbi-opened-a-file-on-george-ca.html

The thing most hateful to authoritarians is not to be defied, but rather, to be mocked.

14 Likes

“No, ma’am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we’re aware of.”

6 Likes

“They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

AFAIK, Carlin said that late in his career, when he was also railing against the American plutocracy. A subversive to the end, Goddess bless him!

7 Likes

Did he hurt their fee-fees? :cry:

Imagine what would have happened to George Carlin if he made fun of the fact that Hoover was gay?

1 Like

“Bad taste”? Sirs, you had no idea at the time what that man was capable of coming at you with.

1 Like

We should have made him pope…

Man, I haven’t seen Dogma in ages…

(Also… out of likes… hope a Carlin works).

5 Likes

Why would he have done that?

1 Like

Federal Bureau of Indignation.

1 Like

Hmmmmm…I dunno. I think bad taste SHOULD be a criminal offense. We need to eradicate this blight on our culture…even if there’s no culture left after we finish. Let’s start with the Internet…

1 Like

First they came for the bad taste…

2 Likes

I almost did a spit take when I read:

"The letter also contains mention of “the hippies and the yippies,” and maintains that the FBI “is to be spoken of with reverence and respect rather than jest and so-called wit.”

4 Likes

Because of pointing out the hypocrisy?

4 Likes

It’s sort of funny that a culture obsessed with checking its mentions and retweets every 5 minutes would be upset about a government agency keeping tabs on who’s saying things about them.

1 Like

I question your use of several terms in this context:
-“culture”
-“obsessed”
-“upset”

Is a “culture” the sort of thing that can be “obsessed” or “upset”? Presumably you mean certain people are “upset”. Are these the same people who are “obsessed with checking [their] mentions and retweets every 5 minutes”?

Even assuming “culture” makes sense, is it actually true that the “culture” you’re talking about is “obsessed” or “upset” in this particular case? How do you know? Is BB really representative of this “culture” that you speak of? Does the OP really give the impression of being “upset” (as opposed to straight-forwardly reporting an interesting factoid about the FBI and George Carlin)?

“…he was using the prestige of the Bureau and Mr. Hoover…”

Was the author delusional, a brown-nose, or both?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.