Florida cops get to decide whether to ticket or arrest people caught with weed

[Read the post]

What could go wrong?

20 Likes

Hmmmm. I wonder what they look likeā€¦

27 Likes

Basically, the cops want to retain their right to arrest ā€œblackā€ people that they canā€™t pin a real crime on by charging them with drug possession instead

FTFY

10 Likes

Sooo

Black = Arrest
White = Ticket
Brownish = flip a coin?

10 Likes

The classic Paper Bag Test, unfortunately.

3 Likes

On paper, this sounds fantastic. A common sense approach where just getting caught with a little weed doesnā€™t have to be an arrest, but the illegality of the substance is still actionable in situations that warrant it.
In practice, Iā€™m 99% sure this will manifest itself along the same racial lines that already create two (or more) justice systems in America. White kid smoking a joint? Hey, we all experimented when we were younger, no need to destroy his whole life over a little fun. Black kid smoking a joint? Heā€™s well on the road to Thugville, population: scary black people. Better get this blooming drug kingpin off the streets!

I really wish I could feel anything other than automatically cynical about this story.

10 Likes

Of course: ā€˜Black = Arrestā€™ would actually be a step in the right direction.

More like:

Black = Shoot to kill
Brownish = Shoot to kill
White = Ah, fuck it, Iā€™ve shot two people anyway.

10 Likes

Ah, you meant: White = buyā€™em a burger and fries!

3 Likes

If youā€™re white you can earn a pass by shooting the other two guys before the cop gets there.

4 Likes

Yes, there are concerns about discrimination and corruption that come from this knd of policy, but the fact is those things happen anyway. If anything, this actually allows it to be tracked. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s perfect, but itā€™s better than no discretion at all.

2 Likes

Maybe. If a cop, or anyone else, had shot and killed a presumed innocent black or brown person, would he now have the taste for it?

Would the motto he or she had sworn to uphold now become a memory, rather than a value?
Would the taste of blood, the thrill of the kill, further eradicate and override any semblance of belonging to a civilised world?

It was a factious comment, I was just wondering if someone would move onto white people to kill because once they have shot a few people all pretence has gone: the reality is they like killing people.

Iā€™ve just finished reading a recent Mother Jones article, life sentence for 2 dime bags, so itā€™s pretty obvious how this is going to unfold.

3 Likes

try to conceal anything

How about asserting your right to remain silent and not self-incriminate? I wonder how that will get scored?

2 Likes

Taser.

2 Likes

DEM PNATS. Not exactly granny-square, but the same kind of holes or texture.

Itā€™s a throw (a small blanket kept by a chair or sofa to throw over yourself if youā€™re feeling cold). Chemo patients often feel cold in normal temperatures.

1 Like

That makes more sense.

1 Like

Now that I look more carefully, I can see the skein of yarn behind her to the left, and what looks to be a light blue plastic crochet needle near her left wrist. So sheā€™s multitasking, there on the sofa!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.