Game of Thrones: The Board Game - diplomacy, intrigue, and betrayal in Westeros

[Permalink]

1 Like

A friend once betrayed me in a game of risk (or whatever the nuclear war equivalent is), my vendetta followed him all night and it was particularly in Goldeneye that he learned his stern lesson.

2 Likes

Itā€™s quite good, but I have never been able to find six people willing to sit through the 5+ hours it takes to explain the rules and play the first game. It also suffers from the same problem common to most strategy war games - once you start losing, itā€™s a long, painful slog 'til the end.

Itā€™s worth mentioning that with four or five players, thereā€™s a bunch of unoccupied territory in the south, that can be easily captured by anyone close, giving them an early lead, itā€™s a lot more balanced with six players.

In your first game, get used to using boats as stepping stones to allow your armies to move large distances and youā€™ll be able to surprise your opponents by threatening a straight-forward attack, and then hitting them in the rear as they move troops to defend against your feint. Very fun to pull off, although Iā€™ve never got close to winning.

Based on Diplomacy? And here I thought Kingmaker would be a more appropriate inspiration, just as the Wars of the Roses inspired Game of Thrones. Yeah, getting six people together to play a complicated, all day game is difficult. We used to manage every once in a while for Civilization or Advanced Civilization, but Iā€™ve only managed to get people together to try and tackle Republic of Rome twice.

2 Likes

make a digital version so I can play on my PC!

games are frequently organized through the /r/AGOTBoardGame subreddit.

were you at least able to save rome from carthage?

I adore this game. Definitely one of my favorite strategic board games. It bears noting that there is a 4 player expansion for the game that shortens game play time considerably. I have also found that early leads for the Baratheons and Martels equalize pretty quickly. I, for one, have found the Greyjoys to be a fun family to play.

I just canā€™t get past the fact that it CLEARLY should have been called A Board Game of Thrones.

8 Likes

Or ā€œGameĀ² of Thrones.ā€

I think I made the one time I played end early when in reply to a plea for help was well I can tell I am not going to win so may as well make sure you donā€™t win either to the player who till that point had been a major pain.

Umā€¦thatā€™s pretty much what the Mad King Aerys tried to do.

Never did figure out who to fear more: The Carthaginians or Scipio.

An awful lot of calls ā€œFor the Good of Romeā€, where at least 2/3rd of the players were forgetting to pronounce the first two letters of the last word.

A fine game, but in a dozen games, Rome has only once made it out of a first age both alive and a Republic.

1 Like

Maybe this is just my neurosis talking, but Iā€™ve seen several games of various types based on ā€œA Song of Ice and Fireā€, and each time I find myself puzzled at the idea of a game based on an incomplete story. In particular. how do you have a game about the competing factions, when much of the tension in the story revolves around how we arenā€™t sure of what all the factions are, or even what the factions we do know of are doing?

1 Like

Iā€™ve played this a couple times; and the author is right about the length of games. Granted, we were going a bit slowly as we didnā€™t know exactly what we were doing, but the games ended up being around six? seven? eight? hours. The gameā€™s not bad, but I canā€™t help but feel that it suffers from a little too much complexity.

I see two good ways.

1. Make it a prequel, based on known ā€˜historyā€™.

2. Shrug and donā€™t worry so much. As an interactive medium, itā€™s never going to 100% meet canon anyway so embrace the wrongness in the name of fun. (Civilizationā€™s ā€˜Gandhi with Nukesā€™ approach).

I donā€™t feel its the complexity that is its downfall, but the ending criteria.

Without a mechanism to accelerate the chance of taking over (think cards in Risk, etc.), thereā€™s too much of ā€œBring down anyone close to winningā€.

I enjoy the game, but I think it needs an ending rule. Typically, these are something like:

After n (2-3?) hours, at the end of each game turn, roll a pair of dice. On a 12, the game ends and determine the winner. The next turn itā€™s an 11. Then a 10ā€¦, and so on.

Means that you donā€™t know when the game will end so you canā€™t make a 1 turn rush. But puts a time limit on the game.

Thatā€™s a good point and a good idea, although I assume you mean that on an 11 or above, the game ends. Itā€™s definitely true that whoever is close to winning gets stomped on. On the other hand, the cards mechanism in Risk is what seems to be its most complained-about ā€œfeature,ā€ as it makes everyone hold onto their cards as long as possible to get the max number of armies. That said, I havenā€™t played enough Risk to know whether this really damages the game or not.

Youā€™re over-thinking it. These games are never (rarely?) based on canon, but more of an ā€œwhat-ifā€ interpretation of the game. The Battlestar Galactica board game allows any character to theoretically be a cylon, regardless of what actually happens on the show.