Gamer Felicia Day on Gamergate

I hate to say it, but every moment we keep them arguing about it is a moment they’re not doxxing a woman.

6 Likes

But you wouldn’t find -me- a link. Why would you ask someone else to find -you- one?

1 Like

Despite all this noise and insanity… people will still be buying and playing video games.

They retitled it “Baitfest” afterwards, as part of their attempt to paint her as arguing in bad faith. The image they chose for it is from an article about her asexuality, which they also focused on after the “debate.”

King of Pol enters about 2/3 of the way through. That’s when things get properly toxic; he can do nothing but shout, insult, and interrupt.

NOTE: I have zero interest in debating anything about this stream, and will not.

Thank you, i will be watching this when i get time tomorrow. and thank you again.

Could you take a moment of that time to find the link to the thing you didn’t provide a link for above, when you have that minute? I too will be thankful.

i got a link to it from jere7my. but i simply asked, because i’m trying to look into the details of this whole thing, figuring out more about the different people affiliated with the movement. And since you were talking about a specific stream, i just thought that you new the name of it, or a date, which would have made my amateur research a little bit easier.

1 Like

I’m sorry, it was not sargon, but king of pol: http://www.hitbox.tv/video/270061

1 Like

Thank you.

I was asking about streams that you referred to, the reasonable ones with the reasonable debates about this topic. But you briought them up, not me. I was asking you to provide a link to one or more, since you have previously found them.

And so I understand your misunderstanding! Again, thank you!

1 Like

Well, Long John Baldry moved to the West Coast too, but somewhat north to Vancouver Island. He might have been a mole too, but I don’t think it would have mattered: I don’t see that either MI6 or the KGB would have had much use for the secrets of the BC Legislature… :smile:

1 Like

I think were still on topic, especially since gaters seem to rally around gamer as identity.
My thinking is this is a twofold problem

First problem: Gamer as identity

Or anything as identity really, the idea that identity dictates your actions and not the other way around is a disturbed way to look at the world.

Anybody who wants to draw a line between people who play Angry birds and “Real Gamers” must necessarily believe that in order to be a real gamer, you need to act a certain way.

To be told that anybody can come in and just call themselves a gamer is to be told just how fragile this type of identity really is. You get rage.

Second problem: Splitting

I’ve posted this link a few times now, here it goes again:

The idea is that we can easily be fooled into black and white thinking, where one side is all good, and the other side is all bad.

4 Likes

Actually I’m more interested in what you have to say.
Whats your opinion on all of this? I’m specifically interested in your view of what GG stands for.
Do you think the threats have their root in misogyny or are they directly related to games journalism somehow?

Cultural Observations of the GG thingee

I like this line of thought…oops!

I’d say a strong factor might also be the ability to develop the skill to see the other’s point of view, a precursor to empathy.

2 Likes

So much this. Existentialism FTW.

1 Like

So essentially you are telling women to be quiet and to stay out of certain spaces if they don’t want to get harassed, aka you are blaming the victim and silencing them all at once.

3 Likes

Wow. So you aren’t taking this at all seriously, are you? Shocker that a man wouldn’t. Real shocker.

1 Like

We need a Boing Boing Press™ to publish this! (Get on it BB! :D)

3 Likes

Careful- That’s a good way to get people mad at you these days.

2 Likes

so basically you’re full of shit.

1 Like

We have a culture that actively discourages empathy, because we’re rugged individuals, and we can’t be slowed down by helping others on our way to the top. It’s not surprising we have issues like GG crop up, full of people who think that when they are upset that the way to handle that is to lash out and destroy the lives of others.

[edited to add] But here is the flip side of that notion of having empathy… it means seeing people doing shitty things as human beings and trying to get at why they do what they do. Here is a discussion on this directed at GG:

Not to godwin the thread, but it’s the “Ordinary Men” view of nazis. In popular culture, nazis are your go to bad guys. Iron Sky, Indian Jones, even Schindler’s List, sort of treats them as deeply amoral and evil. They are cartoon cutouts of evil, with no humanity. But there is the notion that we need to understand them as human beings. We need to understand Eichmann as a person, we need to understand the men who carried out the most bloody massacres as Einsatzgruppen as human beings who did horrible things, not monsters. Because that’s empathy too, understanding. It’s easier to hold a persons feet to the fire, much harder to do that to an amoral monster… on some level maybe they want to be understood as trollies, because then they can continue to do as they’ve been doing.

6 Likes