Gamergate's color scheme is a rape joke

Is this an intentional reference to Depeche Mode?

3 Likes

It was spamming a NSFW anal rape gif in spoilers in a SFW board as well. 4chan has always moderated its SFW boards.

[quote=“sypin, post:157, topic:44755”]
I think we may need to agree to disagree about what gamergate is about. I think the beginning was on Aug 28th, when published articles calling for an end to the “gamer” cultural identity, including The Financial Post, Ars Technica, The Daily Beast, The Stranger, Beta Beat, Gamasutra, Polygon, Kotaku, etc. the subsequent signed open letter to the gaming community from the collective was the final seed sewn…
[/quote]Saying gamergate was spawned from anything else but that blog post made by Zoe Quinn’s ex is not surprising considering your willful ignorance about a color scheme that is a confirmed reference starting with an anal rape gif.

Quick question: what do you think about the confederate flag?

2 Likes

Shortly before his death, Kipling became “so disgusted by the Nazis and the sight of their flag that he removed the swastika, a Hindu symbol of good luck, from his bookbindings. It had been his trademark for nearly forty years but it was now ‘defiled beyond redemption’.” (cite)

I too hope Kipling was wrong, but I very much doubt I will live long enough to see the swastika redeemed.

I have swastika-stamped Kiplings visible on the bookshelves in my house. But I think of that as a launching spot for enlightening conversation… it can lead into some discussion of how to tell the difference between white terrorist Odinists and (more commonplace) Norse mythos fans, for example. I don’t think I can play that with an animated gif of dubious sexual content.

BTW, it’s still pretty common to find welding tanks with swastikas stamped in them, but those actually are Nazi swastikas. Apparently the Germans made very high quality pressure vessels and some of them can still pass the tests after 80+ years.

1 Like

Actually, Nazism was about high quality pressure vessels

17 Likes

That’s what the ethical journalists say.

1 Like

Yes, they really were experienced with gas back then.

Do you see why we still can’t bring it up?

1 Like

Same goes for a number of various instruments, from those old cast-iron lathes to spectrographs. You don’t have to agree with their politics to admire their workmanship.

1 Like

That one was delivered in a sorbent, not pressurized. Analogy fail.

By 22 April 1915, the German Army had 168 tons of chlorine deployed in 5,730 cylinders opposite Langemark-Poelkapelle, north of Ypres. At 17:30, in a slight easterly breeze, the gas was released, forming a gray-green cloud that drifted across positions held by French Colonial troops from Martinique who broke ranks, abandoning their trenches and creating an 8,000-yard (7 km) gap in the Allied line.

This was arguably (but let’s not) the first use of gas as an effective weapon.

Also, wikiwand is a great skin for wikipedia.

Actually, use of toxic gases (early in the form of arsenic smokes) dates to ancient times. And in the WW1, the French were first; how effective their lachrymators were is however left for debate, therefore your claim, hinging on the “effective” word, can be quite well true.

Chlorine cylinders also need a bit different design; the material has to resist the corrosive action of the element, and the gas itself has high enough critical temperature to be in liquid form. The cylinders therefore have to withstand about 10 times lower pressure than those for e.g. oxygen.

Neither however changes the fact that German gas cylinders of the 30’s/40’s era were really well made.

“Hey! Women who have received death, rape and bomb threats for merely speaking your opinion in a public space and on the internet, make sure to be courteous! Be very nice to your attackers, okay? We wouldn’t want to hurt their harassing, bomb-threat-sending feelings!”

7 Likes

And AEG still make high end gas ovens.

You clearly don’t actually understand BSDM so please stop it. Ugh, creepy.

Oh I am not saying the ridiculing, harassment and threats don’t exist or is not happening. But

OH FOR FUCK’S SAKE, if you have to first assure us that you are not in fact saying that the harassment and threats aren’t happening, BUT!!! Then you’re not actually fucking doing that.

It is really sad to see how anti-gamergate people are trying so hard to make this entire issue about anything other than journalism ethics that it actually just defies belief

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Y’all are a fucking parodies of yourselves by this point.

You’re good peoples and far more patient than I.

4 Likes

Is there a problem with journalistic integrity in the video games industry? You betcha. It’s gone back decades.

Is Gamergate in any way concerned with the above? Fuck no.

10 Likes

There is a lot of misunderstanding going on on both sides,There is a lot of misunderstanding going on on both sides,

No. There really isn’t. There’s #gamergate supporters and everyone else. Period.

Quod erat demonstrandum.