Gamergate's color scheme is a rape joke

I’m sorry, apparently I touched a nerve. Apologies.

I disagree. I don’t see mark doing anything except complain about tone.

What other sort of leadership are you offering other than commenting on the internet?

Towards what? I’m not the one with his complaints or his stated agenda. What i am doing is challenging him to live up to his own (not mine) desire to support the victims.

1 Like

This is a non-apology.

2 Likes

As you like it.

tergiversate

1 Like

So if something is referenced, with out being aware that there is a reference, doesn’t it cease to be a reference?

Examples - “88” is a code for white power. 8=H, 88=HH, Heil Hitler. But you can see “88” pop up all over, on sports jersey, faux jerseys, Iggy “bringing 88 back”. etc.

I remember a freak out over a Laura Croft statue having white laces on black boots, which is another white power thing.

Swastikas used by everyone from Navajos to Buddhists and Hindus. The latter continuing to use them today.

So if I dress up as the Joker in bright green and purple am I now forced to reference gamergate, and I guess, some old rape meme from 4chan?

2 Likes

More than sad.

No, but if you get a member of Stormfront to create a cartoon character for you and that character is wearing a shirt with 88 written on it, it’s naive to think it’s a reference to the year.

12 Likes

You’re some ally! Pro-tip: just because someone claims to be an ally, does not make them one. You don’t get to decide that. A true ally would understand that. A true ally would listen. And let those he supports lead. And not lecture and tone troll and misrepresent .

some ally, indeed.

1 Like

I fail to see how this is so. Vivianne James was a character created by /v/ 4chan- after the raising of funds for TFYC (22nd Aug)… after the backlash and indiegogo hack, it became the ‘symbol’ of the supposed ‘hypocrisy’ that unfolded regarding TFYC and then became the mascot for gamergate (Baldwin first used the #gamergate hashtag on 27th Aug- Vivianne James didn’t make an appearance until #notyourshield around 2nd Sep)

You also forget the massive success by the trolls in ruining the childhood of many (most grew up watching dbz) that the colors alone were a trigger to the horrid unseen many could not forget, hence the sarcastic ‘thanks doc’ for every ‘daily dose’ that happened. This is no secret, and the ‘trigger’ is a meme in itself- for over 10yrs.

There is a connection about ‘toxic humor’ and ‘internet culture’ that can be made- but the zeal for a smoking gun in every nauseating narrative has robbed you of such an opportunity. Hopefully when other ‘examples’ ( there are many) of crass behavior within /v/ 4chan are found, perhaps they will feature more of an intellectual angle that isn’t so easily dismissed or challenged.

Again, I’m sorry if I offended you, honestly.

1 Like

Another non apology. You didn’t offend me, besides. Christ. Have some self-awareness.

I’d say ‘kind of.’ Now that you know the reference, assuming the knowledge actually sticks with you, you are kind of referencing it. Now if you dress up as the joker then you dress up in the joker’s colours. Maybe you are okay that you might pass someone on the street who will snigger to themselves about a rape joke because of the association. It’s not something I’d worry about too much because it’s a fairly in-joke and not really worth changing your life to avoid. The vast majority of people who “get” the joke will laugh to themselves or will realize you probably didn’t mean anything by it. Many people probably shared pictures of this character without being aware of the joke - which means the joke is on them.

But if you were dressing up as an ancient Buddhist temple for Hallowe’en and put swastikas all over it, you better get ready to have that be interpreted as pro-Nazi. As much as ancient Buddhist temple is a great idea for a Hallowe’en costume, I’d probably sacrifice some authenticity to leave the swastikas off.

I’m not asking anyone for citations when they say that people in /v/ intentionally and proudly put the ‘daily dose’ in the sweater, I feel like I can take that story at face value. On the other hand, it could be wrong. If someone who actually knows better wants to weigh in on the matter, I’d listen.

Yeah, but that’s the nice thing about embedding an inside joke like this, right? It’s very easy to dismiss or challenge. Know Your Meme mentions that the colours are a reference to the ‘daily dose.’ @emo_pinata at the top of the thread says that /v/ admitted the association. I think the reference has a lot of credibility. Easy to dismiss, yes, but seems probably true too.

5 Likes

When people complain about political correctness gone awry this is what they’re talking about. I’m not going to stop using two colors, one of which is a primary color, because of some dated and obscure reference to a bad DBZ fanart.

3 Likes

The analogy doesn’t work. Anyone can use the hashtag, there are no requirements- or code of conduct with using #gamergate, anyone who has a vendetta, or a troll objective can use the hashtag- it doesn’t mean everyone who uses it, or is going to use it will support such a decision.

I prefer green to cyan, but maybe that’s because I had an Apple II instead of a IBM PC

But knowing what we know about some of the shitheads who do use #gamergate to try to legitimise their attacks, why would anyone who want to not be associated with that kind of bullshit identify with it?

6 Likes

The strange thing is these comments are all in reverse order!

14 Likes

I will say, I don’t like the word ‘mansplaining’ because I personally encounter the phenomenon mostly as ‘no-mental-illness-splaining’ (though I’m sure it’s mostly men doing it). My sister introduced me to the term ‘splainin’ which I really like as an alternative because I feel it incorporates the appropriate amount of derision (“Thanks for ‘splainin’ that to me!”).

If I’d named it, I would have called it ‘memories of undergrad philosophy’ but I guess that wouldn’t ring a bell with a large segment of the population.

5 Likes